Chapter XXII: Daylight

Selena woke up with a headache. And like she was run over by a truck. It didn't matter that she slept for several hours. She still felt drained emotionally and mentally.

The sun was already up and daylight poured in through the high windows. But why did she feel like she was still stuck in a dark ditch with no way to get out?

The boys were still asleep. She could hear their soft breathing as they slept soundly. At least as soundly as they could.

She could see Liam's hand underneath his pillow. She knew he had a small gun there whenever he slept.

She could also see the small frown between Niall's brows, like he was worrying about everything even in his sleep.

Harry was probably the one in the bathroom right now. She could hear the shower running and Harry wasn't in any of the beds.

Did he even sleep?

She slowly sat up, massaging her temple to try and ease the headache.

She wasn't sure how she would face them now that they know her darkest secret.

Especially Harry. She worried he would see her differently now that he knew.

Run.

There was a small voice in her head urging her to go. Just grab the keys and never show her face to any of them again. She picked up a few tips from them on how to stay hidden and disappear. She could do it.

Her headache only seemed to be getting worse.

"You okay?" she heard someone say.

She didn't even notice that Zayn had came in and was now kneeling in front of her. She stared back at his pretty brown eyes.

She was so preoccupied that she had forgotten about wearing contacts. But Zayn didn't comment on her now golden eyes.

"Do I have to answer that?" she whispered.

Zayn gave her a small smile then he opened his arms. Selena didn't even hesitate and just leaned forward, placing her head on his shoulder as he engulfed her in a warm embrace.

It was something they used to do whenever someone had a bad day but didn't want to talk about it.

Everything was so easy with Zayn.

Selena sighed. She leaned in even further, burrowing her head in the nook of his neck and letting herself be comforted.

At least for this moment, she felt a bit safe. Zayn was still the same. Even when he knew about Drew and what she had gone through.

It comforted her that he didn't look at her with pity in his eyes.

She wished she could stay like this. Even for a little while.

Just without the complications outside of the bubble Zayn provided for her right now.

She had just closed her eyes when a burst of golden light erupted between the two of them. Golden threads of light sprouted from her fingertips and embraced her and Zayn.

She felt her skin tingle as she felt ecstasy run down her spine. Selena saw a memory flashed in her mind, of a wonderful night she shared with Zayn during that unforgettable summer they shared.

The sudden blinding light woke Liam and Niall, with Liam pointing the gun at Zayn.

Even the bathroom door suddenly burst open to reveal Harry. His hair was still dripping wet and he only had his pants on.

It took all of them a moment to grasp what was happening.

Selena was clutching Zayn so hard until the light faded.