Chapter XI: Cut You Off

"Why the fuck are there even so much shit in this house?" Liam complained for the nth time that day.

They had been stuck at the Tower for three weeks now, trying to find the clue they needed to search for the fourth keyper.

"And why the hell did your pops thought it was a good idea to not tell you?" Liam continued, throwing away some of the things on the side.

"Hey! Be careful with that!" Niall exclaimed.

"These are just trash. Trash, trash, trash!"

"Just shut up and look for shit!" Harry said, equally annoyed.

"You're not even lifting a finger!" Liam retorted.

"I am looking more than you are!" Harry retorted. "You're just making a mess!"

"If your eyes are so great, you'd have found it three weeks ago!"

"You talk like your ears are even remotely useful for this kind of task!"

"Hey! If it wasn't for me and these ears, we'd be fuckin' dead last night!"

"Shut up and just keep looking!" Niall interjected.

"We wouldn't have to do this if you only asked your father!"

"Enough!" Selena snapped. "Stop bickering! All the three of you did all morning is bicker! I have had enough!"

"But-"

"No. The three of you either work together or separately from now on. I am so sick and tired of hearing you complain."

"You're lucky I like you or I'd have left already," Liam grumbled.

"Then fucking go!" Selena seethed. "Stop acting like you're doing me a favor by staying."

"You don't mean that," Niall turned to Liam. "She doesn't mean to tell you to go but she's serious about the last part."

"Stop that!" Selena gritted her teeth.

Niall looked sheepishly at her. "Sorry, can't help it."

Keypers, as it turned out, were gifted with powers to help the Golden. It wasn't super strength, speed, or any of that sort.

Instead, they had a heightened sense of one of the five senses.

Niall's was the sense of taste. He could tell when a person was lying or not immediately. He said he could taste their words so he got a general sense of what the other person was feeling when they spoke. It also made him a charmer, able to get what he wanted with minimal convincing.

Liam had a heightened sense of hearing. He could hear even the faintest of sounds that nobody else picked up on. It came in handy last night, when a couple of Damned sneaked up on the Tower. Liam was able to hear them coming and was able to kill them before they caused any problems.

Harry's eyes were his assets. He could see more than what meets the eye, and was able to see clearly even at far distances. He told them that he would also sometimes see flashes of the future. It wasn't a whole lot, just a small short scene. It also wasn't something he could control and was something that came to him suddenly. It happened sparingly as well.

Apparently, the power would also get stronger as they bond with the Golden. It was the exchange they received for being a keyper.

Harry scoffed, "Don't worry about it. She's always been good at pushing people away."

The fine line between them finally snapped. The tension was so palpable that even Liam was rendered without any smart retort.

"What did you just say? I push people away?"