Chapter X: Lights Up

Selena stared at all five of them dumbfounded. She didn't know how she was just supposed to choose.

"And if my choice is incorrect?" she asked.

The boy with the dirty blond hair smiled, "Then you don't get to complete your Keypers."

"You'd only have the two you have with you," Lewis grinned. "Or maybe not."

She didn't like what he was implying. "Tell me your names."

"Why does it matter?" the older woman asked.

"So I know who to curse when the time comes," Selena snapped.

The little boy giggled. "I'm Greg."

"Lewis." He then motioned at the brunette beside him. "And this is my wife, Catherine."

"Susan."

"And I'm Niall."

"Huh. Great," Selena crossed her arms. She slowly walked closer to them and paced, stopping for a moment in front of each of them and then back again.

It was pretty quiet around them, and Selena took a moment to think of what to do.

She was staring at the flickering yellow light nearby when she suddenly remembered the flash of blonde hair she saw earlier. She accidentally saw someone changing in the restaurant, and she saw something on the person's back.

Selena grinned and then pointed at Niall. "You."

And when she did, a single thread of gold burst out from the end of her finger and wrapped itself around Niall's wrist. It was so bright that it lit up the dim room.

Selena gasped as something sweet spread through her mouth. It was something she hadn't tasted before but it was so, so good.

It was everyone else's turn to be dumbstruck.

"Well, shit," Susan muttered as the thread faded from sight. The sweet taste on Selena's mouth was also dissipating but she could still somehow feel connected to Niall.

Her finger was still pointing at him so she slowly lowered it down. Niall never took his eyes off hers.

Greg was the first to recover. "Cool!"

"What the fu-" Selena began but Harry and Liam burst into the room.

Their guns were drawn and they immediately pointed them at their perceived danger.

Lewis stood up and shielded Catherine. "Whoa. Calm down."

Harry merely glared at Lewis. He made his way next to Selena.

"It looks like we almost missed the party," Liam grinned.

"You did miss it," Catherine chimed. "That was incredible!"

Harry nudged Selena who was still awestruck at what happened. "Hey, you okay?"

Selena was staring down at her hands now.

Niall stood up and walked closer to Selena but Harry got in his way. "Where's the Keyper?"

Selena glanced up at Harry then at Niall. "It's him."

"Prove it," Harry demanded.

"It's on his back," Selena rolled her eyes. "His key tattoo is on his friggin' back. So can we get rid of these candles now and have a normal conversation?"

Niall sighed. "Candles out and lights up, guys."

The rest of his companions stood up and Greg immediately began blowing out candles. Niall took another step forward but Liam and Harry only pointed their guns at him.