The Tell Tale Heart - Part 2

FP sat down a beer on the table before he sat between Jughead and Aminity, Hiram sitting across from them as Veronica sat off to the side.

"Thank you for agreeing to sit down and discuss this misunderstanding."

"There's no..."

"There's no misunderstanding here," FP interrupted Jughead. "Tall Boy said you paid him to decapitate the Pickens statue."

"As an excuse to turn up the heat on the Serpents."

"There are a lot of people who are nervous and scared that they're gonna lose their homes," Aminity told him.

"I heard about that and, though it has nothing whatsoever to do with me, I've spoken to Mayor McCoy and as a gesture of goodwill to the Southside community, I'd like to settle any back resent you or your neighbors owe the town," Hiram offered. The Jones' glanced at each other.

"And what do you want in return?" Jughead asked him.

"Peace in the land."

They sat in silence for a minute as FP hummed and thought it over before standing up. "It's a deal." Everyone else stood as Hiram shook his head.

"There is one thing," he said, pulling his hand away after they shook. "Mayor McCoy tells me you have some kind of expose you're working on, Jughead. So in exchange for my generous offer, I'd appreciate it if you just kept my name out of it. Sound fair?" he asked and Jughead scoffed.

"Excuse me, Mr. Lodge," Aminity spoke up, surprising them all, "that sounds a little bit like a bribe." Hiram chuckled

"Not a little. More like a lot," Jughead agreed. "No deal," he said and the Jones' smirked.

"See you in the funny pages," FP laughed, putting his arms over his kids' shoulders as their arms remained crossed.

***

Jughead and Aminity were eating chinese takeout as they looked at the map and talked about the article.

Jughead's cell phone rang and he picked it up. "Betty?" He froze. "Yeah, I'll be right there," he said, hanging up.

"What's wrong?" Aminity asked as he got up.

"I don't know. I'll call soon," he said quickly, closing the door behind him and starting his bike.

"Where'd he go?" FP aked, walking out of his room.

"He said Betty needed him. He wouldn't say what though. I don't think she did either."

***

"Oh my God," Aminity sighed after Jughead told them everything. "That's why she's been acting so weird." Before anyone could say anything, there was a knock at the door and FP got up to answer it.

"FP," Alice tried, but he cut her off.

"Save it, Alice. Jughead just told me all of it. "I'm not going to let the three of you make the same mistake I made with Jason Blossom. Come on," he said, the two Coopers walking in.

***

They sat in a booth at Pop's, waiting for FP to get back. They looked up as they heard the bell ring and he walked in, coming to sit next to Alice and across from the three teens.

"It's done," he sighed.

"Jeez, Dad, you reek."

"It's the sodium hydroxide."

"That stuff is extremely corrosive to a body," Aminity said, her eyebrows furrowed.

FP nodded. "In a week, there'll be nothing left. Not even his teeth."

Alice sniffled, "Thank you, FP. I'm sorry for involving Betty and that she pulled Jughead into this who then pulled Aminity and you into this too." He put his hand over her shaking one as she continued to cry softly as Jughead rubbed Betty's back and Aminity put her head under Jughead's arm.

"We take care of our own," he told her simply. "The circle ends here," he said, looking between the four. "No more loose ends." Alice nodded as Betty put her head on Jughead's shoulder.

So another short chapter, but it is what it is. Hope you enjoyed! Stay safe!