The Noose Tightens - Part 1

"Okay, now just a quick reminder," Alice said as she stood on stage with the three teams running for class president, "that this school hall is a PTA sponsored event. Oh, looks like we have our first question."

"Yeah," Sweet Pea said, standing up. "No offense to the, uh, current administration, but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students who are being bused in from the Southside." Fangs patted him on the back. "Is that gonna change?"

"Absolutely, Sweet Pea," Jughead said from the stage. "That's our priority. And no one should feel marginalized or excluded here."

"Jughead and I will be representing all students, North and Southside alike," Betty continued as Sweet Pea sat down.

"I didn't know you had any interest in school politics," Aminity whispered.

"When it comes to change that benefits me, hell yeah, I'm interested." She gave a small chuckle.

"Next question? Yes, Midge?"

"My question is for Archie and Veronica. Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the mayoral election. Won't that negatively affect your working relationship?"

"Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that 'politics are never discussed at the dinner,' or the cafeteria, 'table.'" The crowd laughed.

"Veronica and I are on the same page about everything, including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside." There were some boos.

"Not that smartest move," Aminity mumbled.

"In the meantime, however," Veronica tried to get the crowd back, "we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High, which means more extracurriculars-"

"Reggie and I agree," Josie cut her off. "Except, add the fact that we can and will deliver results."

"And we're chill, unlike these guys." Aminity and Sweet Pea rolled their eyes as the crowd laughed again.

***

"So Betty's living with you now?" Septimus asked as they walked back to the trailer park.

"Yeah. Dad's sleeping on the couch so that Betty can have his bed."

"Wow."

"Yeah. It's a little crowded."

"Well, if you ever needed a place to crash..."

"Thanks for the offer, but as crowded as it is, it's great. You know, it feels more like home." He nodded and smiled before dropping her off at her trailer, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

"Whoa, easy, Alice," FP was saying over the phone as she walked inside. "Hold on. Turn to channel eight right now," he told the three teens as they sat on the couch. Jughead turned it on and they saw the car they had pushed into Swedlow Swamp being pulled out.

"It is not yet known how or when the car first entered the swamp, but foul play has not been ruled out."

"Oh my God," Aminity breathed out as they stared at the tv.

***

"We should have known better," Jughead breathed as they sat in Pop's. "I should have known better. We should have driven that damn car further out of town."

"No. How could you have known that Junkyard Steve drags the swamp for people's castoffs?" FP asked them from across the booth. "It's- It's dumb luck."

"It's Jones luck, you mean."

"Shouldn't Chic be here considering he's the one that brained the guy?"