4.8

'Goodbye' is one of the most depressing words in the human language. Goodbyes are a promise for heartbreak, filled with finality and uncertainty. Finality that whatever you are leaving will soon be gone, and uncertainty of how much of it will remain within you. There is no way to know if you will soon forget what you are leaving, if you will ever return, if the goodbye is temporary or final. Perhaps that is what makes goodbyes so scary; all of the unknowns.

For a midday afternoon, the airport wasn't that crowded, families and businessmen walking about. Then there was us.

"Thank you again for everything Liz," I smile up at the teary eyed mother.

"You are always welcome here, okay? You are a part of the family," she pulls me in for a giant hug. She rubs my back, giving me a final squeeze before turning to Luke. "You take care of this young lady Luke. There aren't many like her." Liz pulls him in for a hug too.

I walk over to Michael, who was sitting on his suitcase by himself, to let Luke and the boys have their own moments with their families.

"You look happy," I lean against Michael.

"I'm leaving," Michael cheers. "And I get to see Grace!" He blushes slightly.

"Have you guys talked at all?" I had only talked to her a few times myself, the timezones were tough.

"Yeah of course," he looks at me as if it was a stupid question. "We were gaming together a lot, but you wouldn't understand that, and I talked to her about my dad a lot."

"Speaking of your dad, how was he today? With you leaving?" I whisper uncertainly.

"He was fine, he gave me a hug. He promised he was going to get better." Michael gave me a small smile. "I think he will."

I nod, not wanting to give him false hope, or ruin his spirits. We look at the other boys, engulfed in the arms of their loved ones. Ashton's mother finally let Ashton out of her grip, searching for me, and beckoning me to come over.

"Maddie," she smiles, pulling me in for a hug as I near her. She whispers softly in my ear so the kids don't hear, "Thank you, for everything. I haven't seen the kids this happy in a while. Lauren is smiling again, and talking to me. Ashton...he has gotten so much better because of you. I can never thank you enough." She pulls away, her eyes glistening with gratefulness. I bite my lip, holding back the tears brimming my eyes.

"Maddie!" Harry jumps on my back, making me fall on the floor. "Maddie stay with me!" He giggles.

"Harry, I can't," I laugh, pushing him off of me and standing back up. He hugs my legs so I can't move, immobilizing me.

"Marry me Maddie. Marry me and then live here forever," Harry squeezes me.

"Woah there, you aren't marrying my bestfriend mister," Ashton laughs, peeling Harry off of me.

"You guys will come back though, right?" Lauren takes off her beanie, looking at us with hopeful eyes.

"I will make Madds come back, don't worry," Ashton gives me a push. "Cmon now, group hug!" Ashton shouts, the two kids attacking us.

"I'm not letting go!" Harry giggles in the middle.

Our flight was announced, making them break away. I gave Harry a little kiss on the cheek, and Lauren little pep talk before joining Michael and Calum by our luggage. Liz was still clutching onto Luke, or maybe vise versa, and Ashton was kneeling down with Harry. Harry was crying, Ashton holding both his hands and talking to him quietly. It made my heart ache, especially since Ash was practically his father.