6.8

Maddie's POV

"Move it a little more to the left," I shout to Luke from across the living room as we attempt to set the Christmas tree up straightly. My fingers curl up inside of the long sleeves of Luke's sweater he was letting me wear for the day. His scent lingering within the cotton and bringing a me sense of relaxation and comfort.

Calum and Charlie were sitting by the radio trying to find some good Christmas songs to 'set the mood', but they gave up halfway through and went into the other room to make their own playlist. That was something they've been doing a lot together, making mix tapes, listening to each other's music, sharing CD's with each other. For two people who fear their emotions and speaking their feelings, they do it through music instead. It gives them a way to face their emotions without physically admitting anything. Music and sex were their main ways of communicating. Words just didn't work, especially for people as broken yet strong headed as them.

Luke shakily shifts the oversized tree, the veins in his arms becoming prominent as he struggles to hold the weight up. "It's okay Michael, I don't need any help here," Luke sarcastically slurs to Mikey who is sitting on the couch, cuddled up with Grace, as they verse each other in Mario Kart. Their days literally consist of gaming and eating on the couch next to each other. I swear they are the same person.

"Keep up the good work Luke," Michael ignores the struggling Luke with a smirk as Grace rests her head on his chest, tapping his screen to mess him up. He licks her face in retaliation, making her cringe and laugh.

"There, the tree is up," Luke emerges from under the branches a few minutes later, walking over to me.

"Thanks babe," I give him a quick kiss. He raises his sap covered hands towards my face, making me playfully scream and push him over to the sink to wash them.

"I can see you two are good again," Ashton whispers in my ear, his face seemingly annoyed.

"Ash, he felt really bad-"

"You don't need to explain yourself," he holds up his hands in surrender. I just frown, shrugging off the uneasy feeling he was giving me and walking over to sit on the couch.

"Ashton and I have a writing session in like 10 minutes, we should leave soon," Luke walks back into the room, patting Ashton on the back.

"Who are you guys writing with today?" Grace asks without taking her eyes off of the game.

"The dudes from McFly," Ashton mumbles, his eyebrows furrowed in frustration.

"So you will probably end up with a love song," Grace catches Ashton's eye, but he drops her gaze.

"I'm excited," Luke grabs his jacket, stuffing a muffin in his mouth as he makes his way over to the door. "Ready Ashton?"

Ashton's POV

"Do you guys have anything else you want to show me before we go?" Tom from McFly was laying across the couch. We have been writing and messing around with some chords for a solid four hours. We wrote one song with potential.

"I actually have a song I've been working on," I sit up, making Tom clap and smile. Luke plops down next to me.

"Give it a go lad," Tom hands me his guitar.

"It's called I've Got This Friend," my fingers brush against the cords, letting the notes into the air. I close my eyes, slowly remembering the words I had written in my room a few months ago. The words of the trials within my mind. As I'm singing I can feel Luke shift next to me. "I've been that friend and I wish I could see, how this would end if you knew it was me," I open my eyes as I let the last verse go.