Chapter 8-Blackout

Mary POV

The lunch bell rang, and I went to my locker to get my things for the later class period. I didn't want a repeat of what happened yesterday with Jason, so I asked my Biology teacher if I could have lunch in her room instead. She was alright with the idea, but she wanted me to lock her door since she was going to a meeting during lunch. As soon as she left, I went ahead and locked the door. I charge my devices and enjoy my lunch in peace. It doesn't take me that long to finish my lunch, and I start reading my book. I am on the part where Mr. Darcy admits his undying love for Elizabeth, and I can hear static. I put the book down and get up from my chair. The noise becomes louder and louder. I have the same headache I had from earlier. I can't take the sounds anymore. I need to go to the school nurse for a note to leave for home. I am beginning to feel unbalanced, and just before I can get to the door, I trip over one of the chairs, and I hit my head on the desk. 

Mary's Dream POV

I am falling again through a dark hole, and this time, I'm not screaming. I hit the ground, but I'm not in Christmasland. I'm outside of my school. The sky is dark and gray, time is standing still, and the only thing I can hear is bells like jingle bells. I keep turning to see what it is, but I see nothing. As I begin to walk towards the street, I can see a car. Not just any car, but a classic 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith. I feel like I should be running, but instead, I walk up towards the car. There's no one in the car, but the engine is running. As I am about to touch the handle of the car, I hear, 

"No one else can enter it besides me." 

I turn around and see Charles Manx, standing behind me. It was then I tried to run, but Charles grabs me. I try to break from his grip, but he holds onto me. 

"Why are you here? What do you want from me?" I ask him

Charles smiles and says, 

"I told you. I want to save you."  

My breath was shaking. I look into this man's eyes, and while I should be scared and fighting for my life, I feel that he and I understand each other.

"Please, let me go. Please." I beg.

Charles lets go of my arms. He then moves away from me and sizes me up.

"You're a feisty girl, Mary. I usually like girls to be submissive, but you're an exception." Charles says. 

I scoff at his comment. I start to look around and try to see where I am. I finally ask him,

"Why are you following me? What do you mean you want to save me?" I ask.

"I can see great power in you. I am just like you: different and extraordinary. The power you possess is rare. Tell me: are you bullied? Treated differently?" Charles asks.

I gasp softly. I am treated differently, but that doesn't mean that I'm special.

"Let's take a walk, my dear. We have a lot to discuss." Charles says to me. He extends his arm so he can escort me. I looked at him, very skeptically.

"I don't bite, my dear," Charles says with a smile.

I take his arm, and he and I walk together. As we are walking, everything is moving in slow-motion. The cars are driving slowly, and even the birds in the sky are flying slowly. 

"You must have many questions concerning this new ability of yours. It won't be easy to handle, but I can assure you one thing: you will love the power that comes with it. Now, when I say that I want to save you, it's because I know what you are going through. The drunkenness that you witness with your mother and the non-stop lying and cheating that you witness with your father. It must cause an unavoidable void in your heart. I can heal that wound." 

I look down to the ground and Charles lifts my face to look at his eyes. Tears are starting to stream down my face and Charles wipes them with his gloved fingers. Charles looks like he is about to say something but he looks up. The sky is starting to clear. Charles then says to me, 

"You need to go back. Your time is almost up. I'll visit you tonight. In the meantime, say nothing to anyone and go about your day. Just know this, my dear. I will always protect you and I'll always be there for you." 

Charles kisses me on my forehead and I feel like I am being pulled back into the vaccumous black hole. I then wake up on the floor of the classroom.