Chapter 4-Cafe Nerd

Mary POV

I left school at 3:45 to head to my job at Cafe Nerd. I was careful of my surroundings and was looking to see if Jason was following me. Thankfully, he wasn't. I start my moped and drove in the direction of my job. As I park my motorbike outside of the cafe, I happily whistled a random tune, knowing that today was pay-day, and I was working till 7:00. I purposely took these hours, with the intent of not wanting to be home when Dad came home and that I wouldn't have to cook or clean for him. I go and place my backpack in my work locker and switch into my Cafe Nerd apron and fixed my hair into a ponytail. Every time I set my hair in a ponytail, a small piece of my hair falls in my face. I find it to be cute and cool. I then go to the counter, log in to the work system, and start taking orders. 

2 Hours Later

It was time for my break, and I decided to head to the Panda Express that was two doors down. As I was walking down the sidewalk, I look around to see if I could see Jason or his goons around, but I didn't. I entered the restaurant and ordered my usual: chow mein with orange chicken and mushroom chicken with a cherry Pepsi and an eggroll. I have a 45 minute break so I take fully advantage by eating and reading. As much as I like to watch Netflix and Hulu, I prefer to read a good book when I'm alone and eating. I savor my food and drink as I continue reading what I wasn't able to at school. 

45 Minutes Later

After I finished eating, I take my book and refill my soda before I leave back for work. As I walk out of the restaurant, I can't help but feel that I am being watched. I carefully look around without making myself obvious. The streets weren't crowded but I didn't trust it. I quickly walk fast and enter the cafe. I breathed a sigh of relief until my victory was cut short. At the counter waiting for coffee was Jason Walker. I gasped softly. I tried to leave the store but he already saw me. He was glaring at me with such anger. After getting his coffee, he walks out of the cafe. I don't know if I will be able to work with him in my mind. I can't wait to head home but then again, I don't want to go home. I hope that when I arrive home, Dad isn't waiting for me.