Chapter 5-Dad and Me

Mary POV

It was seven o'clock already, and I punched out of work. I gathered my backpack, along with three chocolate muffins. I head to my motorbike and get ready to drive back home. I inhale and exhale before my drive, prepping for the amount of screaming and shouting that I have to hear from my drunk mother and my liar father.  I set a course for home. There aren't a lot of cars, which is good for me. I make a right turn and continue driving. As I am driving, I can hear someone talking. I know that there isn't anyone driving near me, but I was able to hear someone speaking. 

"Mary Victoria Davis, you've been alone for the longest time. Let me make you whole again. You belong here with me." 

Luckily, I stopped at a red light. My breathing was shaking. Who the hell was that? I scan my surroundings and see nothing. Just some cars parked along the street, and finally, the light turns green. I go ahead and drive. That concern was soon replaced with another matter. As I look for my patio light, I can see my father's truck outside of the house. I brace myself for what is about to occur. I park the bike in the garage and go inside. As I open the door, I hear nothing. I immediately put the muffins inside the refrigerator and look for my Mom and Dad. I can listen to snoring inside of their room. I peek inside and see that both of them are asleep. 

"Thank you, Jesus," I say to myself. I go back to the fridge, pull out an iced coffee drink from Dunkin Donuts, and headed to my room. I sit down at my desk and pull out my homework planner provided by the school. 

1st Period: AP Biology (9:00am-10:00am)-Finish dissection paper of rat

2nd Period: AP Algebra (10:05 am-11:05 am)-No Homework. I finished last week. 

3rd Period: AP English Literature (11:10 am-12:10 pm)-Brave New World paper due next week

Lunch: (12:20pm-1:20pm)

4th Period: AP French (1:25pm-2:25pm)-Complete vocabulary for Chapter 7 and 8

5th Period: Gym Class (2:30pm-3:30pm)

I take out my AP Biology homework and finish the conclusion of the dissection and look at the paper I have for AP English. In class, I was able to complete the first three pages of my writing, and I only have two pages left. I get started on it. 

"And as the world that John knew faded from his grasp, John also knew that he, too, would fade into the background of this Brave New World." 

I finished my paper and took a sigh of relief. I hit the print button on my laptop and waited for my five-page paper to print. All of a sudden, there was a knock on my door. The door opens, and Dad is standing there. 

"Hey, kid. How's the studying?" He asks sincerely

"It's going great. I just finished my English paper, and I'm printing it for tomorrow." I respond. 

Dad walks in and stands over me. I feel scared but not that much. Dad is 6'7 and I stand at 5'5. If I need to run, I know that I can make a quick getaway to my bike. 

"Look, I know that I haven't been myself, but I want you to know that I love you and I care about what you want to do. I support whatever you do and I don't need an explanation. Take care of your Mom. I'll be back later." Dad says to me. 

As Dad turns around to leave, I stand up and say, "Dad, it's almost 10. You can't go out this late." Dad turns to me. He pulls a box out of his pocket. He looks at it for a while and finally, he walks up towards me. 

"I wanted to give this to you for your birthday next month but I received in the mail today and I guess it won't hurt to hand it to you now." Dad says to me. 

I take the box from him and open it. It was a beautiful locket necklace that was a black metal in color and inside of the locket, it read: 

"To my Daughter, You are Amazing. Always remember that. Love, Dad."

I will admit: this was very sweet of Dad since the last time he gave a gift was on my 12th birthday. 

"Thank you, Dad. I love it." I say to Dad. 

Dad smiles and leaves the room. I hear the door shut and the car start, not soon after. I look at the locket. The saying is a little corny but I don't mind. I will treasure this gift for the rest of my days. I gather my paper together in my folder and fix my backpack for tomorrow. I head to the kitchen and make my snacks for tomorrow. I place applesauce, 2 packages of Pop Tarts S'mores, a water bottle, and some Chips Ahoy in a small Ziploc baggie. I stick my bag in the fridge and go back to my room. I lay out my clothes for tomorrow to be prepared. I quickly jump in the shower and wash off the day's events. 

25 Minutes Later

After showering and blow-drying my hair, I put on my pajamas, wash my face, and brush my teeth, I can finally head to bed. I make sure that my laptop and phone are being charged first. I slip into bed and relax. I feel myself sinking into the bed as I begin to close my eyes and try to dream of something relaxing and comforting. I didn't know what to expect after I wished that.