Chapter 18

Brooklyn's POV

It's humorous how over an hour ago, my mom sent me out to pick up our clothes at the dry cleaners, but instead I've spent an hour on Mitchell. Not only has he forced me to wait for him to get out of the shower, then shouted at me for mentioning a lady I assume is his mom, but he dragged me out of his house, and has made me follow him around in my car for nearly twenty minutes. So maybe this really isn't humorous, but just crazy. Yes, it's crazy how he can come into my life and interfere with my schedule every day, but it's even crazier that I'm starting to let him.

I must admit, I'd rather be doing this than helping set tables, running errands, and listening to my mom's nagging. I'd rather be doing this even if it means I think Mitchell just made me follow him to a rehabilitation facility because that's exactly what this place looks like. Well, more like a rehabilitation facility for the wealthy people in the world. You can see the place's fancy interior design from outside through it's wall length glass windows, and half the people are walking around in white coats while others are dressed in regular clothes and have tired looks on their faces.

Something slams against my mirror, making a loud thud sound and causes me to jump. I turn to see it was Mitchell's hands, and his smirk lets me know he's obviously humored my easy ability to become frightened. I push the door open and get out of the car, closing the door behind me. "Where are we?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

He shrugs. "Let's go see," he says, walking off into the direction of the entrance.

"Mitchell, I can't chase you around all day," I groan, stomping behind him.

He looks over his shoulder and smirks. "Isn't the bad boy worth the chase?" he asks, opening the glass door and walking inside.

It's not a surprise that he doesn't hold the door open for me. Bad boys are most definitely not worth the chase. The inside of the building has the aroma of rose petals and fresh water, and the classical music I recognize as one of Beethoven's pieces. In fact, I've played it in my violin rehearsals before.

"Good morning, Mr. Maxwell," a petite woman sitting behind a receptionist desk says. Instead of Mitchell returning her greeting, he sucks his teeth and continues walking. I send her an apologetic smile to make up for his rudeness.

"Mitchell, it's nice to see you this morning," someone from in front of me him says, but I can't see him because Mitchell's so much taller than me that he's blocking the view.

"Why must she buzz you every time. What if I wanted to surprise you in your own environment for once?" Mitchell asks, shaking his head.

"Well, I like to meet you half way, but I'll tell her not to do it the next time if it pleases you."

"Whatever. Let's get this over with already," he says.

"Well, lead the way," the other voice says and Mitchell begins to walk forward and turns into a room, bringing me into view. Shock is evident on the man's face when he notices me and his lips quickly form a wide grin."I can't believe it. You must be Brooklyn."

My jaw drops. How does he know who I am? Wherever we are, Mitchell must come here often, and the fact that this man knows me, he must talk about me as well. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure, but I can only hope for the best. "Yes, I am. Nice to meet you," I say, picking up my jaw off of the floor and extending my hand for him to shake.

"Nonsense," he says, opening his arms and pulling me into his embrace. His white coat smells of peppermint and Hershey's kisses. "I am Dr. Hines, and it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I wasn't sure if Mitchell was going to listen to me."