Chapter 7 (Wednesday-January 14th)

Brooklyn's POV

My mom never makes empty promises. When I made it home for dinner las night, my dad was already sitting at the table with his arms folded across his chest and a hard glare in his eyes. Even after I told them that Carol was just fine and explained how important the task to tutor Mitchell is and how I was asked by Mr. Brown and Mr. Maxwell themselves, I was still scolded for missing work and not handling my priorities. They don't like the idea of the whole situation and made it known that if Mitchell interferes with my schedule or gets me off track, these tutoring sessions will be over in a blink of an eye. Not once did they ask about the rest of my day, but I'm kind of glad they didn't because I wasn't going to tell them about the fainting fiasco after Mitchell embarrassed me. That would've ended the tutoring for sure.

The only good thing about last night is that Jason called. I guess he doesn't make empty promises either. We talked until we grew tired, and he ended the call by saying he has something important that he wants to ask me today. Now I'm filled with anxiety as I rush to Hannah's house.

"How was it this morning?" I ask once she gets in the car.

"One of the best. He was passed out on the couch from a hangover," she mumbles.

I shrug and head in the direction of school. "It's better than yelling and screaming, right?"

She doesn't say anything. Instead, she nods and lets out a light sigh.

"Have you talked to Ryan?"

A smile spreads across her lips within seconds. "Yes," she beams. "He wants to take me out this weekend."

"Well, I have some good news too."

Her smile quickly forms into a smirk. "Go ahead and spill it."

"Jason said that has something very important to ask me today," I say, trying to hold in my excitement.

"Oh my gosh!" she yells. "When was this?"

I shrug. "He just called me last night. We talked for hours about anything and everything, but it was no big deal," I say, playing it off.

She squeals. "Shut up! That's definitely s big deal," she says, clapping her hand. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say he wants to ask you out."

My grin is too wide to hold off now. "I doubt it. It's too soon."

"Too soon? You guys have been knowing each other since freshman year. He's lucky it isn't too late."

Ryan and Jeffrey are already lingering in front of our lockers like they usually do, but today, Jason happens to be with them. I try my best to suppress my smile, but as soon as he shines his pearly whites, I give in. "Hey, guys," I say, giving them each a hug. When I hug Jason, it seems to last a little longer than the others. It may only be a half a millisecond longer and his hand may or may not been have an inch lower than someone in the friend zone would go, but it still has the power to make me blush.

"Hey, babe, remember we have to go do that thing we talked about," Hannah says, nodding off in the opposite direction.

He eyes her for a second before looking between Jason and I. "Oh, yeah. I almost forgot about that," he says, chuckling for special effect. "Jeff has to do it too, so let's get going."

Jeffrey raises his eyebrow. "I don't have-"

In one swift motion, Hannah grabs him by his collar and pulls him down the hall with her and Ryan. "See you guys later!" she shouts before they turn the corner. She can be so obvious sometimes, but I do appreciate her effort. However, I just feel awkward now as we both stand here...doing and saying nothing.