Chapter 3 (Monday)

Brooklyn's POV

Hannah is who I need. She's one of the only people who really knows how to calm me when I'm stressing myself out, and of course I'm stressing out over the Mitchell situation. Why can't I just act normal and think of this as no big deal? What's the worse he can do to me? If I just comply with what he asked, he'll have no reason to do anything to me at all. Like I said, I love peace, and peace is what I shall put forth in the situation.

"What's wrong?" Hannah asks with a look of concern as I make to our P.E locker. She's halfway dressed in her uniform and halfway dressed in her stunning outfit with the over-sized P.E t-shirt falling past the designer brand on her jeans. "Your face is red like you've seen a ghost."

"More like ran into a monster," I mumble, yanking the see-through blouse off of me as if it's the blame for what happened in the hallway with Mitchell. I'm not blaming it. I'm just angry at it for giving another negative comment to say about me.

"Break the buttons off, why don't you. I happened to get that for you from American Eagle, not some five dollar boutique," she says with a hint of humor and seriousness all in one. "And what do you mean by ran into a monster?"

We're both finished dressing by now and walking outside to the track and field. Her side jokes added with the cool air help bring me back to my normal self. Ryan and a few guys are sitting at the bottom of the bleachers, chatting. I know we'll all meet up in a bit, so I drag Hannah to the top. "It feels good out here," I say, sitting down.

She folds her arms over her chest. "Blah, blah, blah! Tell me what's going on," she whines. "What's this I hear about you getting called to the principal's office?"

I sigh. Word travels fast here. "That's what this is all about. Mr. Brown assigned me to tutor someone."

"What's wrong with that? As annoying as it is, you love tutoring."

"It's not the tutoring job that's the problem. It's the person he assigned me to tutor."

She smirks. "Hmm...who's the lucky guy?"

It's funny how she automatically assumes it a guy. My mouth opens to tell her, but closes as soon as Coach Boom's voice gets all our attention. His real name is Coach Boomertin but his voice is so deep and loud that the name Boom just stuck with him. Hannah knows I don't like speaking when adults are speaking because I might miss something, and just as much as she knows that, I know how badly she hates being left out of the loop.

"Today you're going to do a practice mile run!" Coach shouts.

Most of the girls groan and the guys slap hands. They always use the mile a competition to see who's the fastest while the girls see this as a complete wast of time and walk most of the way. I, on the other hand, usually complete all of my laps in under twelve minutes because it helps me clear my mind, which is exactly what I need to do right now.

"You all know the drill. Six laps in twelve minutes is an A for the practice run. Let's go," he says, clapping his hands as we run off the the bleachers and to the track.

I pull my hair away from my face, securing it in a tight pony tail. Hanna does the same with an annoyed expression plastered on her face. "Can you believe this? The first day of second semester and we're already running miles!" she complains.

"Will you be upset if I leave you?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "Of course not. I know you have to make you A, but I will be mad if you don't tell me who you're tutoring before this class period ends."

I break our staring fest and glance at Coach. He's about five seconds away from blowing his whistle. As it get closer to his lips, I turn back to Hannah. "Mitchell Maxwell."