11: Means to an End

I charged for Ben roaring and tackled him to the ground. Momentarily shocked he fell like a rag doll hitting the harsh pavement of the training area. He growled fully shifting and slashed at my stomach, quickly planting his feet on my stomach he kicked me back and jumped up landing in a low crouch. He let loose a ferocious growl barring his teeth at me. 

Just then an arrow whizzed past, inches from my head going straight for Ben. He caught it snapping the shaft in half. 

"Watch where you're aiming Lee!" My head whipped around a snarl on my lips. I realized too late I was looking at Lee fully shifted, all I saw was cold determination.

"Right now I'm just aiming at the enemy" He said with an icy tone. 

"He's not the enemy Lee" Seph said almost unsure of himself. There was daggers in his hand which he held at the ready. Ben growled again bringing me back to the moment. 

I roared again going for Ben's throat. We tousled and my instincts kicked in, the animalistic urge to see him dead possessed me as I went for the killing bow time and time again but he was an alpha and while I definitely won out in experience he was stronger. I was getting slashed up and before I realized what was happening my head hit the pavement and my vision went black. 

...

I woke up my eyes fluttering open. Ben was dead surrounded by hunters headed by Jonathan. Some I realized but most were strangers to me. 

"Paris is freed from the tyranny of these monsters!" Jonathan shouted out raising his fist to the sky. Panic seized me as I figured they were coming for me next, I began to try and move away before Joseph came into sight. He was crouched in front of me a rather unreadable look in his eyes. He offered his hand to me, I took it standing up. 

"We'll talk, later" Joseph nodded to me and I nodded back. He seemed to exhale a sigh of relief. I saw Lee standing in the corner his eyes still cold and unwavering. 

...

"What happened today?" I questioned. We sat in my apartment starring at each other. 

"We should be asking you that!" Lee suddenly lept to his feet. Joseph stood up pushing him back down. 

"When you passed out Lee shot brigades of arrows at that werewolf and while he was distracting I coated a dagger in wolfsbane, he caught the dagger but it did what it needed to and we kept him occupied until other hunters showed up and took him down, they don't know about you" Joseph spoke calmly but I could see he was itching to ask me questions. 

"Now explain" Lee said forcefully. 

"Look shit happened to me, where I'm from", I ran a hand through my hair, "So I came over with Chris, and made myself a new life, all I faked was my past, nothing with you guys".

"You're still one of them" Lee pointed out. 

"I'm aware, look I can't change that now" I clasped my hands anxiously. 

"You choose to be this way?" There was an accusatory tone to Joseph's voice that really set me off. I could feel my heartbeat begin to pound in my chest. 

"YEAH OKAY, I choose this, but my father was beating me and locking me in a fridge constantly," my voice became more panicky, "I felt helpless, I felt alone, I just wanted to feel safe. I never knew it would turn out this way, neither at home or here". 

"We didn't know" Joseph sounded defensive. 

"Obviously, because you don't care to ask" I growled. 

"Look boo hoo it turned out bad for you but you lied to us for almost two years" Lee was seething but now I knew it was from the burn of betrayal.

"We're sorry that all that happened to you but it doesn't change who you are, we won't tell anyone but you can't come back" Joseph said with a tone I couldn't quite detect. 

Those words felt so final. They were hunters through and through. Ben was right and that's what hurt most of all. 

Author's Note:

This is the substitute chapter since I accidentally deleted this story. There will be one more chapter to close everything up for good.