Chapter 16

The look on my brother's face was one of pure heartbreak. This was the worst possible way he could have found out.

"Jinheung." I spoke up and he jumped, his gaze going from the ground to me. "I've been looking for you everywhere. You didn't eat so I got worried." I told him. "I didn't feel like eating. Not now." He said simply. I didn't question it further because I understood why. "I need to tell you something about Baekje." I told him.

"What is it? Is it about why you were called out by the Prince of Baekje?" He asked, turning to me fully to give me his full attention. My face changed. How did he know? As if he read my mind, he continued. "I didn't ask because I figured you'd tell me when you were ready."

"Well," I paused, sighing. "They were the ones who killed my family." I explained. "What? Why didn't you tell me this sooner?" He asked, concerned. "What would you have done if I did?" I asked, folding my arms, knowing the response he was going to give. "I would have not let you go." He replied simply. "Exactly. That is why I didn't tell you. I had to go."

"No you didn't." He told me. "Yes. I did. I feel better that I did." "Does anyone else know this?" He asked. "You, our little group of friends because they asked, and the Queen."

"Mother knows?" He asked and looked worried. "Yes. She was the one who told me. I'm not sure why she did, maybe to make me more miserable in her presence than I already am, or to make me not go I don't know. Either way, she made me swear not to tell or she'd hurt Hwarang and you." I told him in frustration. "I couldn't let that happen to the one good thing in my life."

Banryu and I were talking a peaceful walk around the grounds of Hwarang House, when we turned a corner and to our disappointment, Kangsung appeared, with a stupid smile on his face. Ugh. This can't be good.

"Don't you listen to Master Youngshil? Or can't you listen at all?" He asked, putting a finger in his ear and then blowing on it making me cringe. Ew. 

"Fuck off." Banryu said to him bluntly and we continued walking but he just kept talking after us. And he didn't seem to care that I was there too as he bothered and tried to humiliate my boyfriend in front of me. "I have never felt this way before, but I feel sorry for you now." He said. Banryu and I stopped talking. "What do you mean?" Banryu asked, but didn't look back at him.

Kangsung walked up to us and held out a letter for him. "Take a look. I want to see it."

"Why don't you go terrorise someone else, you're pissing us both off." I snapped at him. Ban-Ryu snatched the letter from KangSung and opened it to find the message: "You worked hard, but it was of no avail." My heart broke for him. His dad really wasn't making any of this easy on him. Any day now he's going to snap.

"You worked hard, but it was of no avail." Kangsung read. "He can read you rat. Why don't you mind your business and get out of here before I make you?" I threatened. "Why should I? My mentor's father seems to have discarded him. Tell your rude girlfriend here to stop getting involved." What a rat.

"Shut your mouth." Banryu warned. "You're done for. Master Youngshil no longer has any expectations from you. None whatsoever." Does he ever shut up?

Banryu snapped and grabbed Kangsung's uniform. "I told you to shut it!" KangSung's reaction to this made me want to impale him with my sword. He just laughed, while Banryu was getting angrier by the second. "Oh, I've never seen our Banryu look this way. You look so scared."

He shoved Banryu's hand off him and walked off. "I'm going to kill him one day." I said, glaring after him. Banryu had made a fist with his hand holding the letter, and he was fuming. "Hey, he's trying to get to you. To get those reactions from you. And I know it's hard to ignore him because even right now I want to kill him but hold back. He's honestly not worth it. Promise."