Episode 5

Chapter 5

My brother and I put on the Hwarang uniforms. It felt real this time. We're finally able to get back at the Queen for all those years she hid us for. My brother and I were going through the town, waiting for the ceremony to begin. But I swear, I turned my back for one second and he was gone. "Jidwi!!!" I called for him. Yes, I didn't use his real name because I was cautious of people around us. "Ugh. Where is he?" I muttered to myself. But I couldn't spend time looking for him. I had to go to the ceremony. So I did.

While I was waiting for us to the let into where the ceremony, I recognised Suho and his friends. He saw me and waved. Then we were all let in and found the podiums with our names, mine being Kim Harin. I took my spot and looked up at all of the officials. I knew my life was going to change drastically by doing this. But I was okay with it. Anything was better than what I've gone through already. Then someone spoke up and mentioned a name I didn't expect. "I guess even the great Banryu had no choice." Banryu is here? "You said you wouldn't be the Queen's dog." Banryu was in front of the boy standing to my right. "You look good today, for a puppy." Suho told him. "That little." The boy beside me said, stepping forward. Ah, he's one of Banryu's friend. "Be quiet." Banryu ordered to him. He didn't sound too happy. The kid beside me leaned forward to Banryu to talk to him. "Just say the word. We'll drag him out and beat him up."

"Shut your mouth. And be quiet." Banryu snapped through gritted teeth. He sounded like he was becoming too fed up of the boys trying to fight his battles. And honestly, if I was to speak up on it, he seems like he can fight them himself, he doesn't need them to do it for him. Although, he is easily provoked. I don't want to be on the receiving end of that.

"So here are two factions, one for and one against the Queen. What a joke." A boy spoke up. I looked around. I looked around and noticed he was 100% right.

The Queen entered and I could feel nerves. Seeing her again has made me slightly sick to my stomach. Her eyes glanced over all of us. She hadn't seen me properly yet. I think we have to go up individually at some point to collect our own swords, so there's no doubt she'll see me when I get it.

My brother was still not here though. Where the hell is he?

One of the boys spoke up. "Who are we waiting for? Why aren't we starting?"

The same boy who noticed it was Pro Queen and Against Queen spoke up again. "I guess they're just making us stand here to make a fool out of us." I hope not. But I also doubt it, my brother is not with us and there's an empty space the other side too.

Suho was staring at the Queen and his friend spoke up. "That kind of romance only exists in fairy tales."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Suho responded. We were getting restless. And I was getting worried about him at this point.

Suddenly a man spoke up. Wihwa looked at me from afar, raising his eyebrows and I shrugged my shoulders. "Begin the appointment ceremony." If he didn't make it, I swear I was going to kill him when I saw him.

They called Master Wihwa up first. "Kim Wihwa is appointed as the leader of Hwarang!" A voice said. "I, Wihwa will follow the Queen's order and become the Poongwolju!" He responded. Then they started calling us up one by one.

Almost half of the boys went up, and then Banryu was next. Wihwa held the sword horizontally out in front of him. "I appoint Banryu as this Kingdom's Hwarang." Banryu bowed, took the sword and held it the same way as Wihwa did and spoke the line we were told to say. "I, Hwarang Banryu, accept the order." He bowed again and turned to go back to his place. He nearly stopped when he saw me but we exchanged small smiles before he turned back forward, his shy smile still a little evident.