Twenty-Three: Webpage

• Dedicated to Rena

I had a funny feeling in my stomach, like butterflies, as if I was on the highest peak of a rollercoaster. I was in a lucid state of dreaming, or so I assumed in my dream. A distinctive voice softly echoed in my ears in its deep tenor tone. The funny feeling in my stomach was my body being transported to the bedroom, I could only guess Phillip's. The lone voice spoke. Whether to me or someone else, I could not make out. I was set down on a bed eventually, and fell asleep, out of my lucid state. 

—————————————————————

I pulled the covers up to my chin, relishing in the warmth of the blanket. The window outside had beams of light shining from it onto the floor, but the room was still dim enough to be early morning. When I rolled over, I felt a body. A warm body. My first instinct was to scooch towards the heat, but I thought about it in my sleeping stupor. It had to be Phil, and we've... Cuddled? Or whatever was previous, before. But... What if who I was sleeping beside wasn't Phillip. Was it... Daniel? Why would he have me sleep beside him, and in his own bed, of all things...? It didn't make sense in my mind. 

I decided that there was only one way to figure out where I was, and that is to open my eyes and check the surroundings. Leaving the blanket up by my chin, I did just that. The room I was in startled me as it was not what I was expecting: I was in Daniel's room. And in bed with his black and white checkered duvet. I leaned on my shoulder and turned my head to see to the left of me a sleeping body, not pale and with ebony hair, but one with an olive complexion and dark russet hair. 

I stealthily slid from under the covers, as the need to use the restroom arose. I roll stepped to the door, and looked at the sleeping, passed out Daniel. One arm hung over the bed and touched the floor, he was half covered by the duvet, and half out of the cocoon. His hair was similar to Phillip's bed head, but more curly and less of a spiked mess that his friend had. 

Peaking into Phillip's room, I saw that he had slept in his bed for the night, and was still in deep REM sleep. It was nothing to creep silently to my stash of feminine products in the room and exit. I used the restroom, hoping that the noise wouldn't wake either of the boys. I gazed in the vanity at my bruises: they were barely there anymore. No one would hit me again if I could help it. After a few minutes of standing in the doorway of the bathroom, I seemed to have awoken no one but myself. 

My thoughts turned to what Daniel was like. What did he do in his free time? Who was he friends with? Besides Phillip, of course. I moved to stand in the doorway of Daniel's room. A humming almost inaudible sound caught my attention. With closer inspection, it was obvious that the desktop computer was on. A little snooping wouldn't hurt, right?

I sat on the black, executive office chair. The desktop was a picture of a galaxy of stars wonderfully drawn and colored. I clicked on a circle with red, green, and yellow surrounding a smaller circle of blue and under the icon was labeled 'Chrome'. I clicked on it. The web page opened to google.com, as the large colored letters were predominately displayed above a search bar. 

Under the URL there were various bookmarks with different favicons. I spent the next half hour or so wandering his bookmarks: varous online stores, websites I assumed he visited frequently, profiles of people on many differing sites. One in particular caught my eye. It was old, or so I assumed. The web address informed me that it was a freewebs.com site. In white letters Daniel's name was there, and under it there was a strange type of childish notice, which made me feel as if my IQ had dropped half of a point after I had read it. I continued on to read the red, green, and blue colored text that seemed to have been written by Daniel when he was... Younger, to say the least. 

"What are you doing?" I jumped in my chair. Daniel stood behind me. I swiveled around hesitantly, head cast down to have my eyes not meet he gaze, waiting for Daniel to yell, scream, or hit me. I didn't speak. Being passive and not speaking was my way of avoiding any violence against me from my father. I learned that lesson the hard way, too many times. 

"Are you alright?" He asked as he kneeled down in front of me, still siting in the chair. I couldn't tell if concerned was laced in his voice or something else I didn't recognize. "What's wrong?" Then his next question in secession. "Why aren't you talking?"

"Because... I was prying into your life where I shouldn't have been." A silence followed my explanation. "You can yell at me now." I didn't think of the repercussions if I were to get caught snooping on Daniel's computer, and I cursed myself for it. I was logical, so why didn't I think ahead? "Curiosity killed the cat." My mind pointed out. "But satisfaction brought it back." I taunted back. 

"Why would I? Who would..." He didn't finish his sentence, almost knowing the horrid answer to the question. His warm hands were set on my knees. "I wouldn't hurt you. Ever. Nor would I ever raise my voice towards you." His hair was still as messy as it was in bed; curly. A warm, masculine touch lifted my chin and angled my head upward. Reluctantly, my eyes meet his. "And I would never let anyone else hurt you either."

Our eyes held, the intensity only mounting each second we didn't break our gaze. My heart beat a few beats faster per minute, and I questioned why. Daniel had one knee on the ground, the other leg had the top of his foot flatly on the floor. His stance was shorter in this instance, different than usual when he towers above me. What was happening? I didn't know anymore. Dan's eyes were a brilliant, dark smokey topaz, even with the lack of good lighting. The only source was from the computer monitor, the golden amber lamp beside the queen bed, and the few rays of sun wanting to be in the room.

Both of us broke the intense gaze, Daniel's hand still on my chin, when we heard a new noise: the door opened to reveal a Phillip standing in the doorway.