Fourteen: Ice

I wasn't sure what to think. How many people watched him, and his many videos? I glanced at the large number below the moving picture: a little over one million, five-hundred thousand. I gaped at the number. Never would I expect such a large number, and every number is one person whose watched... My mind couldn't wrap around the thought. I looked around the screen, seeing none other than Phillip. I told Daniel to click the video I had my eyes on. A small picture of Phillip with an odd hairstyle, it was titled "Hair Model." Phillip began his video: "Hi guys, so it's finally summer..."

Once it was over, Daniel asked what I thought of it.

"Is this... all you do?" I quizzically asked.

"Yep. Does that surprise you?"

"Well, who wouldn't it surprise? I didn't know this was any sort of an occupation for someone."

"We enjoy it. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't."

It startled me so much I jumped from my chair. My arm reached out to grasp something, but I ended up forcefully banging it against the desk. It was Phillip barging into the room, a worried, almost crazed look in his eye. His hair was just as crazy as I last saw it, standing up straight in every direction, swirls of hair curled where it had been trapped between his head and pillow. His eyes weren't the fully awake look you would find, but they were serious looking. 

"Dude, chill out!" Daniel exclaimed in a complaining tone.

Phillip said nothing but his cobalt eyes rested on me, his expression softening. Without any explanation he closed the door. I was still on the floor at this point. Daniel left his office chair to help me up, and offered to get me an ice pack for my wrist. He returned with one, along with an explanation. "Phil's been getting... Nightmares for the past few months. He doesn't really know why. This one has been the first one in a one a few weeks. I almost thought he'd be rid of them. I wonder what drove him to barge in here like that..." With that said, Daniel opened a new tab and typed 'tumblr', which took him to a website with a picture of cat artwork on the background.

"I think I'm going to sleep. Goodnight." I wished. I really wasn't going to sleep. Phillip just kept becoming more and more interesting by the hour, and it was terrible for me. I wanted answers, and by the time I got one, two more questions had nudged their way into my brain. One step forward, two steps back. 

I got up from my chair, still holding the pack of ice to my wrist, and closed the door. I hoped that Phillip would be in his room, then again, I didn't. I was supposed to sleep in the single, but yet I ended up in the queen. The only person who could have placed me there was... Him. What if he had taken his bed back? Could I have slept walked and taken the larger comforting bed as my subconscious wanted me to? All these thoughts swirling around in my head seemed to be driving me mad.

I peered into Phillip's room, or my room; a terrifying thought. Seeing that no one was in there, I released the air from my lungs that I had held for the duration of the few steps from Daniel's room to Phillip's room. I entered the room, seeing my book strewn at the foot of the bed where I last was reading. I would have set it aside had I been conscious. Then I must have been-- I was startled once again by the opening of a door. 

Phillip had a closed hand, while the other held a small glass of water. His head was turned downwards and seemed just as startled as I did when he entered the room. I took a place on the edge of his bed, the queen, and folded my legs Indian style. I patted the space next to, indicating that I wanted Phillip to sit beside me.

What was I doing? This was the most human interaction I've had in my life, and I seem to act so calmly. Where did the Sage I know go? Has she been buried alive where she screams to be noticed? Actually, she wouldn't scream... There she is, somewhat. 

Phillip took the spot I set aside for him. He popped two blue and white pills before swallowing the water in the cup. The silence was ominous. The room was still dimly lit by the blue numbers that were now closer to midnight. I was now afraid to ask what I wanted to ask: what did Phillip dream about? I had an internal war with myself. Why can't I be as courageous as all the book characters I read about and get attached to? I admire them and have always wanted to be one, a book character. Even based off of a character would be great...

"Did you want to ask something?" 

His voice pulled me out of my trance. I turned my back to him, almost feeling embarrassed for some reason, although I had no definitive cause. 

"I'm sorry for scaring you. I didn't know that you would react that much...  Well, maybe I already knew how you could react, like last time."

"I didn't mean to do that, if that's what you think." I remembered very clearly. 

"You haven't adjusted yet."

A silence fell after that. Phillip did understand, a little more than I thought at first. What else did he know? He must know all about my family and problems, since he did take me in. That's another  question that still hasn't been assessed. I really need to get some answers to my questions... The silence felt like a lifetime. A very, very long lifetime. 

"W-what did you, ah, dream about?" I said, stumbling over my words. Phillip shied away from my question physically, moving to his bed of choice for the night. My back still turned, I now twisted my head to see him out of the corner of my eye, looking in my direction. Who else could he be looking at, idiot? My personal Jiminy Cricket voicing my subconscious. The span of time didn't feel like it escaped my grasp quickly, but Phillip responded without hesitation. 

"Your lacerations."

"They're mine, not yours. Why should you be so worried?" It was true, they were normal for me, the bruises at least. Talking about and acknowledging my stitched skin made me feel them. It still was sore, but enough that I could conceal the pain through my facial expressions. Daniel hadn't suspected anything. Unless Phillip had told him about me... How much did Daniel know about me? He must know basic information, as Phillip had explained when he presented me. "You know that thing we talked about a while ago, right? Well, here she is!" I remembered.

"You shouldn't have to feel the pain of them. No one does." He cooed.

I would have given a smart answer but Phillip went back to his chosen bed. For whatever reason. I stayed in my spot. I had many thoughts of what exactly to say but an impulse got the better of me. "I chose that bed."

Phillip's response was monotoned, as his brain began to shut off from reality, wanting to get some sleep. I guessed that he had stayed up too late the night before and was needing to get some rest. "I know much more about you than you think, you know. Maybe a little bit too much..." He drifted off.

I respected his answer and decided to attempt to sleep more, maybe to righten my sleeping schedule to this new and confusing time zone. Phillip had left the door cracked, and I stared it down intently. I tried with every fiber in my being not to close the door, but I couldn't resist. That was the last thing I did before I succumbed to sleep, also locking the door. It was weird but I did fall asleep with the ice pack. It was comforting to my wrist. I wondered when I would ever be out of danger.