Eleven: Help

A voice I hadn't been a accustomed to yet brought me out of my pained thoughts. "Do you want something to eat? Take a shower?" Phillip offered these commodities I had always worked for, yet he offers them without hesitation.

"S-shower?" I murmured. Somehow he understood me and motioned for me to follow him.

He led me down a small hallway, passing the bathroom, and continued until he showed me a room with a double bed and single bed, spaced apart three feet. The room would have been quite spacious had the single bed not been there. The room had gray, unstained walls, which were decorated sparsely by a few posters or pieces of artwork. A dark coloured dresser with various objects was against the wall while a closed closet held clothing articles, I could only guess. The double bed was a square block pattern of blues and greens, while the single bed sported a plain white and black checked pattern. My red suitcase and back pack sat on the smaller bed.

"This is where you'll be staying, I hope you don't mind." He started again, this time faltered at his own words. "You can pick which bed."

I was, once again, startled by his generosity. I never had a choice as to what I really wanted. I couldn't choose the large double bed, as I mused that that was his own bed and I couldn't kick him out of his own sleeping quarters. But, deep down I knew I wanted the luxury and comfort of that bed. I was reluctant but, chose the lesser of the mattresses.

"The shower is back up the hall, you can't miss it. You can use any of the soaps and shampoos you want in there..." With these commodities offered, Phillip left.

I wandered over to my bag. The colour wasn't one I hated, nor loved. It just fit me for some reason. Style, I wished I had some, is never my forte. My sense is just what is appealing to my eye, nothing more. The styles changed so much, and so quickly. Once you were in style, you would be quickly thrown out.

I shuffled around my bag for another set of clothing to wear when I was to complete cleaning me and my wounds. Finding my only pair of sweatpants and a plain, orange tee-shirt with cap sleeves, and fresh undergarments.

I peered out of Phillip's room, eyeing if anyone was looking while keeping my old habits, and snuck to the bathroom. Although I knew who was in the apartment, I still had yet to break my cautious habits, if I was to ever break them. Once I entered the room, conscious of myself, I locked the door, and made sure it was locked twice before starting to undress. My sweater was loose in size and was in turn easy to peel off of my body. I next had trouble taking off my upper undergarment. I tried every way to slip off my size B bra, but I could not as it either hurt one or the other of my sewn skin.

It took a long while to gather up the courage to ask for help. How could I hide my abrasions as I stand half undressed? It wasn't anything of whatever home I had, and I could trust them, right? Which male to ask for help from? I knew Phillip at least a little better than Daniel, so I decided on him. I took a deep breath in, placed my hand on the measly insignificant bathroom lock and turned it opened, then exhaled. I peeked around the door frame, eyeing a good portion of the living room where Daniel and Phillip rested on separate couches watching the TV. On the screen it displayed a medium height man, with short brown hair wearing a tweed colour jacket and burgundy bow tie. Along with flailing his arms and acting eccentric, on top of his head sat a scarlet fez.

"I-I'm sorry to..." I trailed off. They both turned to me at the sound of my voice. Curious as to why I haven't washed in the shower yet. I inched my head out more, keeping everything beneath my neck hidden from sight. I averted my gazed, embarrassed at my incapability to undress myself. "Could I see Phillip for a moment?"

He looked at Daniel. I wondered what kind of facial expression he gave to him, I couldn't tell as his face was turned away from me. Phillip helped himself off the couch with his knuckles as a chimp would, and sauntered over to the door where my head was exposed.

"What's wrong?" He asked seriously. I didn't expect him to be so serious as soon as he was near me. His crystal blue eyes were tempted to look at me further down, I could tell by his stance: rigid.

"I..." I had trouble speaking, not exactly knowing how to describe my predicament.

"Whatever you tell me is safe with me, Sage." Phillip interjected, using my name. He must be the son that had taken me in, as was obvious. I made a mental note to ask as to why he said yes to taking in an orphaned runt such as myself.

"I-need help taking my... Under garment off due to a..." I leaned in to whisper this part. I was fully surprised I had the courage to say this much so far. "... few wounds." I opened the door, and hid behind it as I let Phillip in the bathroom. I was as nervous as a girl telling a boy she likes him, though that was not my case here.

I closed the door behind Phillip. My back still to him. I mentally debated angrily whether or not to lock the door. Out of habit, I did. In the depths of my mind, I knew that Phillip was still confused. From his view point, my sewn patches of skin were hidden. Like a bathing suit. Like a bathing suit. I repeated to myself. Being half naked, I could feel his eyes on my back, trying to find any clue as to why I had called him in here in the first place.

I inhaled and closed my eyes, then turned to face Phillip, and exhaled.