Thirty: Sub

After what seemed like forever, I lifted my head from Phil's chest only to see yet again another wet spot. Phillip had moved to lay on his back while I had followed him, using his chest as a pillow. I looked up to meet Phil's gaze. His eyes communicated what words could not. It's alright.

"Well, there's Italian take out in the kitchen. Hungry?"

I nodded my head and used my abdominals to sit up from my horizontal position, and Phillip followed. On the TV there was a television show, surprisingly similar to America's Funniest Home Videos. On the counter, there were three paper bags tipped on their side with food spread out. Phillip began to paw through them.

"Hey, did you take the veggie sub?" Phillip asked to the living room where Daniel sat.

With a mouth full of food, he answered. "It musf mot be rabled." I smiled at the attempt of speaking a sentence.

"Guess it's a search and find game." Phil spoke to no one in particular. Upon unwrapping a few sandwiches and peeking at the contents, I found the one with no meat. Phillip picked one of the other subs, as they had ordered more than I would have thought reasonable. Maybe they order a bunch as keep the rest for future meals, so they don't have to cook. They're guys after all.

We all sat down the couches enjoying the humiliation of people on television. After a while I learned the channel was showing reruns of You've Been Framed! It reminded me of home somewhat, except the dialect of everyone was altered. Humans here are just as clumsy and foolish, considering the preponderance of the home videos were of people attempting home stunts and being hurt, or pranks being pulled going awry.

Phil and Dan began talking about a video that they have to go to a YMCA for. The conversation consisted of dinosaur and lion onesies. And swimming, which threw me off guard. Phillip got up to go shower. A new half hour slot of the re-airing show began.

"Want to go swimming?" Daniel asked with a hinting smirk.

"Ah, umm..." I stumbled a little over my words, not really sure what the expected response should be. "I don't have a suit, though."

"We can stop by a store and get one, no worries." He affirmed.

"Why are we going to go swim...?" I wondered hesitantly, questioning what antics the boys could be up to.

"A video. We have this Krave cereal challenge to complete between me and Phil. Why not enjoy the time while we're at the pool?"

We both returned our attention to the television while Daniel also had his on his phone. After some time the water to the shower was turned off, then following afterwards the door opened to reveal a clean and dressed Phillip. He ventured into the kitchen to scourge a drink.

"Dan, I'm using your desktop to edit my video." Phillip let Daniel know, and disappeared into the mentioned room.

My body laid crunched into a ball on the opposing couch that Daniel was on. I had finished my sub, surprised at the amount of food that I had consumed. It was a grilled veggie loaded sub with warm melting cheese gushing from freshly made Italian bread. Another rerun of the same program had played halfway through when Dan spoke.

"Aren't you cramped?"

"No..." I answered, drawing out the 'o'.

Daniel patted the empty portion of couch next to him, a silent asking. I looked over to him studying his expression to find the answer as to why he would want me over there. Simply for companionship? I uncurled myself and took the few steps to transfer myself to the matching furniture. I sank into the cushions a few inches when my weight fell into them. The bottoms of my feet barely touched the ground before Daniel had a pillow and was laying his head in my lap.

"Oh, I see. You just wanted a cuddle buddy."

"Yep." He said. I imagined a smirk on his face as he let the word escape from his lips.

We stayed there, watching daytime TV close to each other. I forgot about all of reality and simply laughed when the show stimulated my brain in such a way. Many times either Daniel or me would continue laughing only because the other could not stop, the act becoming potently contagious.

Phillip emerged from the steam filled bathroom clothed in a new outfit for the day. "Ready for the day, you two?" He questioned as he entered the living room.

Both me and Daniel were still in our pajamas, and must have silently agreed with each other to do the same thing. We both moved from the comfort of the couch to our rooms: Daniel to his, I to Phillip's. From my clothing I pulled out grey sweatpants and a black tee shirt with a grunge lettered 'saltar' in white. I had no idea what it was referencing, that's the downside of hand me downs and thrift store purchases. My hair brush was run through my hair before I exited my room with my shoulder bag around me.

Daniel had a backpack packed and set by the door. The boys were discussing something at the breakfast bar. A breeze of wind blew through the open sliding door from the living room and the curtains danced in the air. The earth was getting warmer, and there was no need for any jacket.

With a mutual agreement of everyone donning their shoes, we left the flat. Phil and Dan walked side by side, I trailed behind. They were a sort buffer or shield. Once outside of the apartment building, a taxi was called and directed to a store.

The last boy out of the cab, Phillip, paid the driver and joined Daniel and I on the sidewalk where we entered the shop. Inside the was themed for the upcoming summer season with sunglasses, tank tops, and shorts. I began to wander around without a word, touching the fabrics of multiple types of clothing: skirts, dresses, shirts. Eventually I made my way to the swim suits.

From the mass of bikinis, two pieces, monos, and one pieces, I pulled one from the rack. A single suit with a black body hung on a hanger. A white design part of the human skeletal system: the ribs and pelvis area along with spinal cord on the back. I checked to make sure the size was for my body and brought it to the boys. They had been amusing themselves with the jewelry section, playing with the bracelets, necklaces, and head chains.

With a gold and pink head chain dangling on his forehead Daniel asked, "Ready?"

I nodded. With the procedural way of checking out, our group left the store. A paper bag in my hand carried my purchase, plus a pair of flip-flops. A ways away there were signs that indicated a subway station was near by. At two blocks it was a brisk walk in the warm, early summer weather.