Ten: "Home"

Phillip, still dragging my suit case around, and I my backpack on my good arm, glided over to the edge of the sidewalk and hailed for a taxi. A sleek, and clean black car with a yellow illuminated "taxi" sign on the front pulled in front of us. Phillip put the bright red bag in the trunk as well as take my carry-on from me, and opened the door for me to enter the cab. I was dazed, not knowing the new kindness being giving to me. Is this the normal behaviour of a human, or is it just London etiquette?

I got in the car, and slid over to the left side, now the passenger side, careful, still not to hurt my wounds. I had forgotten about this type of British culture. Cars and the roadways flipped around, backwards to my process of driving. It shocked me enough as once Phillip directed the cabbie where to drive, he asked me if I was alright. Once again, I nodded to indicate I was alive... And somewhat well.

The car was in pristine condition, as the pleather seats were washed and the floor was spotless, except from the dirt of others' shoes from earlier today, I could only guess. The car travel was quite long, long enough that I was glad Phillip didn't resort to walking to whole distance. Soon enough, I was standing in front of an apartment building that was at least ten stories high, while the cab drove off to find yet another pedestrian in need of transportation. Phillip continued to drag my cardinal coloured bag along with the new addition of my pack.

The building was nothing you would find in my rural town. I took walks in the large fields that farmers left unoccupied by crops, like corn, wheat, and peas. The wide open space felt freeing, while at the time I was nothing of the sort. The tall buildings loomed over me, as the noise from the great monstrous city never ended. Sirens from police vehicles, now a totally different colour and pattern then the the U.S., kept me on my edge as the echoes made it seem like they were every where. At what used to be my home, that was never a good sign, well, it really isn't at any time, would it?

"C'mon, we're almost there." Phillip cooed.

With his encouragement, I mustered enough courage to follow behind him. We entered the skyscraper, passing through the lobby, and pressing to call the elevator down to the ground floor. This was one experience I could handle, and it gave me an extra boost to be strong. Along the ride up to the sixth floor, as that was the circular button that lit when Phillip pressed it, I thought about what thoughts ran through his head. What exactly were his first impressions? Probably not a very good one since I hurt him at his touch. I shut my eyes and mentally face palmed my forehead. I thought I was okay of taking care of myself, and when someone helps me, I'm completely befuddled.

The doors opened to a hallway, decorated in reds, oranges, and pinks, following the colour scheme. It was kept simple with plain illumination lightening the hall down to the end. Phillip was still guiding me as he led the way to a wood door, a pleasant red oak colour that matched the hallway colour scheme well. He set both of my bags down, and reached into his pocket where he pulled out a set of keys, key cards to various places, and key charms, and opened the door with a red colour coded key. How smart.

Phillip pushed the door and it opened soundlessly, while he took a step behind me. "Welcome to my place." He said.

I gazed inside the clean, and mostly white coloured apartment. From my perspective, I could see a free standing island counter in a kitchen setting. Beyond that was the start of what I guessed was a living room as a black leather couch was placed there in front of what I deducted a television, as I could not see it.

"Phil? Is that you? For fuck's sake-" A another tall male emerged from around a corner of a hallway. He was just as tall as Phillip, which surprised me the most. His maple brown hair was in the same style as Phillip, while it was just a tad shorter. Compared to Phillip's pale skin tone, this man was tanned to a light olive colour. His clothes seemed to fit his skinny frame, and yet they seemed to hang loose. "Ummm..." He stumbled verbally.

"You know that thing we talked about a while ago, right? Well, here she is!" He presented me, like a "tada" moment.

I still wasn't sure what to make of anything. My brain seemed to shut off as soon as Phillip opened the door to his life. My processors of anything reality, didn't work. Luckily, I was able to move my legs, which brought me through the door slowly, one step after the other other.

Phillip followed me inside, after picking up my bags. He walked past me and disappeared around the same corner that the newcomer appeared from. Actually, wouldn't I be the newcomer? As I was the one intruding upon the pair. Did he live here? What was the relationship between Phillip and this boy, or shall I correct myself, man?

This man took a seat on one of the stools that lined one side of the island counter. "I'm Daniel Howell, but everyone calls me Dan." He greeted warmly with a smile to add to the end of his induction.

To my astonishment, I smiled back. Though it was a toothless smile, it began a warm and fuzzy feeling deep down inside. What is this emotion? It's as foreign to me as the country I now reside in. Was it normal? Was this a symptom some sort of cancerous tumour?

"You made her smile?" Phil questioned bewildered. He took the second stool beside Daniel. "She's seemed worried and frightened since I picked her up from the airport. Besides that incident."

My eyes widened as I realised that he was talking about when I twisted his arm. I knew my face turned red with embarrassment because I could feel the heat rising to my face. I turned on my heel to have my back displayed to the duo. I heard Phillip describing his experience. He sounded just as surprised as me when I completed the action. I was right when I deducted that I didn't have enough strength to hurt him. Philip was too amazed and stunned that he was frozen in place, so at that moment I had the upper hand.

Pain started to seep into my brain, originating from my abdomen. Tylenol. I thought to myself. But, aren't most in pill form? This was a decision I had to make, so I choose to ignore it. It could wait until later. I wasn't important at anytime, so why draw unwanted attention? I could imagine the expressions on Daniel and Philip's faces as I would show them my new physical wounds: worry, concern, and everything else similar to those emotions.

I fought off the thought of pain, but I still had the feeling of tenderness in both places. I had dealt with pain before, which brought me to my next thought. No more beatings. But there was the residue of my last, still marked on my skin, deeper than the skin. How could I hide all of my problems from two men who didn't seem to have any? I was messed up, completely. In every way.