CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Chapter 16:

KEVIN

I rushed my dad to the hospital. He was having a heart attack.

I had no time to wait for an ambulance. By the time we had arrived at the hospital, I saw my dad's face go blue.

I screamed for the doctors and they came rushing in one by one. They took him into the emergency room and prepared themselves for surgery. I stared through the window as they put on an oxygen mask on his mouth.

I couldn't look at him anymore. The more I did, the more my heart ached. I paced in the corridor impatiently then proceeded to sit down, my knee jumping up and down vigorously. I put my head in my hands and refused to believe this was all happening in a short period of time.

Things shouldn't be this way!

It took a few more hours for me to realise that it was almost midnight. It was then when the doctors emerged, heads hung low.

I trembled as I stood up. I didn't want to assume anything by their expressions but I couldn't help but go pale. "I'm sorry to announce that... the patient has passed away due to excessive pressure on his chest."

It was as if someone put earmuffs on my head because all I could hear was my heartbeat decrease rapidly. "Liar..." I breathed, my slow steps increasing their speed.

I pushed the door fiercely to notice the lifeless body of my father.

********

I now had no one by my side. It was now a few days after the burial of my only close family member. The one who was with me all along

I managed to go back to school. I received many condolences from students and staff members. I put on a brave face but deep down, it still hurt knowing I hadn't gotten over the loss of my father.

How could I?

I didn't see Juwariya at school. We hadn't spoken to each other since our last contact. I mean, she couldn't even ask how I was doing. I knew that she knew about my father's demise but I guess she's too stubborn to approach me. It doesn't matter anymore.

I gave up the search for my mom.

I quit college.

Lastly, I was left with my dad's business since I was the only child. I've never felt so lonely in my life.

********

JUWARIYA

A day later, I heard the tragic news.

I wanted to talk to him.

I wanted to call him but for one strange reason, I couldn't. A few weeks later, Kevin still hadn't come to college.

I missed college for a day because I wasn't feeling well. Until I was walking out of college one day, I heard that Kevin was going to quit college and take over as the CEO of his father's company.

********

Thank you for reading. I am so sorry for the short chapter. What do you think of it???