Chapter 1

"Meowsie! Move your Dark-Type butt and get ready to go," I shouted, furiously tugging on my uniform. My Meowth, nicknamed Meowsie, just meowed in response and continued to brush her whiskers. "Don't sass me," I warned her, zipping around trying to find my leggings. "You and I both know what Father's like when we're late to his meetings." Sliding on the storm cloud grey shirt and shorts, I pulled my lanky black hair into a side ponytail. 

"Where are my shoes," I groaned, anxiety sweeping over me. If I was late to whatever my father had to say, even by a moment, I would be looking at, at the very minimum, six months of working at some undercover business in some small town in Kanto. Selling pastries for pocket change was for amateurs. I was above such basic forms of Team Rocket business.

"They're under there," she called, gesturing to my high-tops, just peeking out from under my bed. "Thanks," I grunted, pulling them on. Sprinting to the door, I took one last look in the mirror. I brushed a stray lock of hair out of my eyes and tucked it behind one of my ears. Other than that, I thought I looked fine. 

My charcoal eye shadow wasn't smeared, my eyeliner was fine, and my uniform wasn't creased or stained. "Let's go," I called, Meowsie scurrying to my side. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door to my room and stepped out into the labyrinth of hallways making up the Team Rocket HQ. "Showtime," I murmured. 

Shoulders back, head held high, I strutted down the halls. The key to feeling confident is acting confident, and to do that I need to act like I'm on a pedestal. I need to think and feel that I'm above the attention of every single operative in this base. And I am, in a way. For one thing, nobody else can claim they're Giovanni's daughter.

As I reach the door to my father's office, I'm secretly relieved to see a familiar face. "Special Operative G," Matori, my father's secretary, greets me with her usual monotone. "Matori," I nod back in acknowledgement. "Giovanni is in a meeting with Captain G in his office right now. He should be done by 6 AM."

"Thank you," I flash her a quick smile. A corner of her mouth perks up in response. Matori's one of those people who always has a poker face donned. But, even people like her can't help but smile at me. After all, I am a legend among most operatives, even if they don't know my heritage.

Checking the watch on my wrist, I looked at the time. 5:58 AM. I breathed a sigh of relief that I wasn't late. Meowsie looked at the watch then looked up at me with an exasperated look. "Don't look at me that way," I told her. "We've been late to way too many meetings because of you and your morning routine."

"I need sleep so I don't fall asleep during meetings," she replied with a huff. "And I can't go out in public looking like I got hit by some Flying-Type move." Matori stiffened when Meowsie started speaking. I didn't blame her. Not many operatives have seen a talking Pokemon before. 

Meowsie got the idea from another Meowth, who was probably the least qualified person or Pokemon to work for Team Rocket. He worked in a trio of incompetent failures who couldn't even bring a single Pikachu in. She asked him to teach her English, and now, six months later, she was fluent in it. Minus stumbling over a few longer words, that is. 

"Can we please focus on the meeting," I said, keeping my eyes trained on the door. "It might be something really important."
"Please," Meowsie responded, sitting on my left shoulder. "Since when has Giovanni given us a really important mission? And I mean a mission, not having me spend a few days picking pockets in Unova for loose change."

"Hey," I said, turning my head to make eye contact. "First of all, that was before we were promoted to Special Operative. Second, those missions might not have been threatening to our lives or Team Rocket, but they've been small steps on the road to world domination, and steps towards Giovanni's trust and approval." Meowsie just fluffed her whiskers and ignored me. I huffed and turned back to the door.