Chapter 23

Turning with a start, I was awed to be looking upon the Gym Leaders of Galar. They were a spectacular sight, to be honest.

Milo was wearing mossy green dress slacks that faded into a pastry-colored cream, and wore a red cap with little green ear-like flaps of fabric on the side of his headwear. Nessa had a gorgeous blue slip dress on, and a stuffed fabric pouch on her back that mirrored a Drednaw shell. Kabu had a crimson tux with golden rings embroidered into it that looked like the underside of a Centiscorch.

Bea, the Fighting-type leader had come to the party, but she was only in her karate outfit. Allister, the Ghost-type leader, was nowhere to be seen. Bede, the new fairy type Gym Leader was in a pink suit that faded into white at the feet, with a baby blue undershirt.

On his arm was a little old lady who was in a pearlescent white cocktail dress that dropped well past her knees, with lots of droopy fabric in pastel pinks, teals and purples dripping from the shoulders. She also had on her classic, plum scarf that nearly blocked the view of her face. I recognized her as Opal, the late Fairy-type Gym Leader.

A woman in an icy blue dress and a headband with a long horn on it, with corn-silk white hair was standing by a young man with golden blonde hair, dressed in a grey tuxedo with a large chest piece that resembled a furnace. They were mother and son, Melony and Gordie, the two Gym Leaders of Circhester. A little girl I didn't recognize had on a cream yellow dress with her black hair shaped into two little ears, but I did recognize the Pokemon her dress and jacket was modeled after; Morpeko, the Two-Sided Pokemon.

The last Gym Leader was Raihan, also known as the Tamer of Dragons, the Dragon-type user. He was dressed in a silver tuxedo, with sky-blue 'windows' made of shiny blue fabric. He also had on a hat with a silver spire on it, and glowing yellow eyes on the brim, which contrasted sharply with his navy blue hair. They slowly made their way down the staircase, taking their time and merging with the crowd. As the music started up again, I was about to make my way to the first target when a hand touched my shoulder.

Spinning around, I turned to see a man in a crisp white suit with a lime green mask that faded to deep jade leek leaves at the ends. His hair was grey-ish blonde, and shaped in potentially the most awkward shape possible; A sword that towered about a foot over his head and swayed as he moved. "Good evening, fair lady," he smiled, taking an elegant bow, his hair bobbing along with him.

"My name is Sordward." Well, that explains the hair, I thought, trying to repress my giggles. "If you would be so kind as to have this dance with me, I would be deeply honored."
"But of course," I said, taking a last glance at the Gym Leader I'd planned to nick the first Dynamax band from as Sordward pulled me onto the dance floor.

Sliding one gloved hand onto my waist, I let my hands naturally slide into position on his shoulder, joining my left hand with his right. Father had been teaching me to dance with a partner since I was fourteen. I'd never been very fond of it, but now, as I swayed around the dancefloor to the rhythm of the music, I was grateful Father had taken the time to teach me the waltz. Stepping on someone's toes in my giant heels would definitely draw unwanted attention.

"So, fair lady," Sordward smiled, twirling me around and around.
"Yes, Mr. Sordward?" I asked, trying to stop the world from tilting.
"Please, just Sordward will do. I desire to know the name of my quite elegant and refined dance partner."

"Is that right?"
"Yes. If I may, I'd like to get to know you a little better."
"It's Dharmira," I lied, repressing the urge to yank myself away from his touch.
"Dharmira. What a name. So exotic." He eyed me through his mask like I was the rare and exotic creature, not my name. "Thank you."

We twirled around the floor, passing more couples mid-waltz and a few Gym Leaders, and I felt a piece of my soul being wrenched out with every Wishing Star we passed. "Please, do tell me where you're from."