Chapter 22

This was the night. The night I would finally make my move. Galar would rue the day they accepted me into the region.

I had gotten past the outside security with no trouble at all; my invite was a perfect replica of the others, if not even better. I caught glimpses of the Chairman and other League staff as I walked down the enormous hallways of his estate, but they paid me no mind. My temporary disguise to get in, a minty green braid and golden eyes, had them all completely fooled.

Back in the dressing rooms, I had the perfect dress in mind for this party. Flirtatious and charming, yet mysterious and dark. After all, this was a masquerade.

Drowning in the smell of perfume and fake flowers, I got ready for the ball. The soft tickling sensation of a makeup brush painted my cheeks with blush. The tingle of lipstick had left the slight tang of champagne on my lips. A gossamer wraparound cape skirt with silky layers of fabric hung around my legs and progressed in an upward angle, merging into an ebony top covered with rhinestones in reds and purples in shapes of magical flames. Delicately placing the mask on my forehead, I looked in the mirror and gasped at my image.

I was a Salazzle. My skirt flared around my calves, coming up at an angle and sewn into my top just in front of my thighs. I had shiny, black leggings under it, protecting my modesty and giving me some practical clothes when I would need to run, which there was almost a 100% positive I would. My top was an off-shoulder, the one shoulder strap flaring out like flames with gossamer, fire-colored fabric at the shoulder.

My heels rose about four inches on black, shiny boots that matched my pants and rose up to my lower thighs. My mask was an elegant display of black feathers with flame colored gems, and it flared up at one corner just like my top. There was a little wire on the inside, which was a direct contact to Meowsie, who was my outside line. I had removed my green braid and golden contacts for something a bit more classic; this time, raven hair lay over my shoulder in a twist. Father had still forbidden me from dying my hair back, so for now the best I could do was black wigs.

Letting Salazzle out of her Luxury Ball, she stood beside me, lithe and dangerous. We were a perfect match for this party. Taking a deep breath, I straightened up, shoulders back, head held high. Salazzle looked up to me, and I smiled down at her, trying not to let on how nervous I was. This masquerade ball was my only shot at getting those Wishing Stars from all the Gym Leaders.

I pulled down the mask, hiding everything but my ebony eyes, glistening like two jagged, black daggers, cold and calculating. "Showtime."

**********

Entering the dance floor, the ballroom was filled with people dressed up in elaborate costumes that resembled their Pokemon. The walls were a rose pink with white marble pillars--after all, this ball was hosted by Chairman Rose. He could afford these luxuries.

There were huge, tall windows on one side that showed off the wonderful gardens outside the ballroom, which, of course, were filled with rose bushes in a rainbow of otherworldly colors. A balcony made of solid white marble was in the back. There were tables made of a reddish wood--rosewood, no doubt--heaped with blushing treats and food of all kinds.

Cakes and tarts and pastries and all sorts of delectable sweets were laid out on pink silk tablecloths. I could feel my mouth beginning to water at the sight of the luscious food, but I stopped myself before I could lose myself in dreamy whipped cream. I had a mission to complete. There would be time for celebratory snacks later.

I made my way to the outskirts of the dance floor, where people were talking and laughing in groups. The center of the floor was taken up by couples dancing, twirling around in a hypnotic kaleidoscope of rainbow fabrics. I passed a man in a navy tuxedo, his beaked mask mirroring a Corviknight. He was chatting with a woman in a dress that looked like a rainbow wedding cake, and a hat that resembled a dollop of pink whipped cream.

I passed hundreds of people, each one clothed in fancy attire more ridiculous than the last. A woman in a gauzy white dress and fuzzy feelers on her headband. A man in a rust-orange tuxedo, with a sleek black eye mask and hideous, oily black hair that was slicked back in an unnatural position, with a mustache to match. A pale woman with ruby red eyes and lips, in a dress with branches resembling ghostly coral. A tall woman with chocolate skin and orange eyes, with a ballroom gown like a Ninetails' tails.

"Meowsie," I murmured. "Meowsie, do you read me?" There was nothing but static coming through the radio. "Meowsie, stop using Attract on the Perrserker and answer your comm!"
"Alright, alright, keep your shirt on," she said, her voice sounding far away from the radio. "Okay, what do you need?" She didn't sound far away anymore.

"I need visuals on the Chairman, his secretary Oleana, the Gym Leaders, and any other celebrities or Gym Challengers who might have Dynamax bands," I said, scanning the crowd for any familiar faces. Particularly Officer Jenny. "I'll also need a sign if any cops show up, or if X decides to crawl out of whatever hole he's hiding in."

"Gia, you're in a room with all of the biggest Galarian celebrities in one place. If there isn't security, the Chairman's either an idiot, which he's not, or he's planning something." I took a quick glance around the room again. At second glance, I noticed a few waiters who looked a bit burlier than the rest. I even saw the glint of silver in one of their coat pockets, and a sinking feeling told me it wasn't a pocket watch. "Never mind. Found the security," I whispered.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" I whipped around to where the voice had come from. Chairman Rose was standing on another marble balcony, this one inside the building and overlooking the dancefloor. He was wearing a far cry from his usual grey business suit; instead, he wore a dark turquoise tux with orange patterns stitched into it. His mask resembled a Copperajah, with a little trunk that almost hung over his lips. Oleana was at his side, wearing her usual red dress and cream sweater.

"As you know, I am Chairman Rose," he smiled, making grand gestures with his hands. "And I am so happy you all decided to come to my masquerade ball!" The crowd went wild, the sound echoing around the cavernous room in a deafening roar.

"I know that during these recent times, there have been a few...mishaps, concerning the safety of our beloved Galar region. But, as we progress from the past, we forget these fearful times and look forward to a bright and glorious future!" As the crowd let out another roar, I opened up the comm link again.

"Yes, I know I have amazing whiskers..."
"Meowsie!"
"Sorry," she mumbled. "What?"
"Do you have visuals on the Gym Leaders?"
"No. But you're about to."
"What are you-"

"Ladies and gentlemen of Galar, I present to you, the Gym Leaders!"