-Ch 17: Vintage Lace.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Vintage Lace.

-Niall Horan-

“Did you make sure she ate?” I questioned Harry, fiddling the hem of my t-shirt in between my fingertips. I shuffled around my space on the sofa, my feet resting on the coffee table as I watched the boys priming themselves to leave.

“What?” he replied absently, fumbling a scarf around his neck. I watched as he tucked it into his jacket, doing up the buttons. I remembered his way with Ashley this morning as I looked at him, and felt jealousy again, but I attempted to brush it off, not wanting to be in a sour mood.

“Did you make sure she ate, before you went running?” I repeated, sounding a little agitated now. He may have sensed my tone differing from the norm, but he didn’t comment. I figured it was maybe because he had some kind of hint at what he may have done wrong, and didn’t want to fight about it.

“No, she said she wasn’t hungry.” He shrugged dismissively and I found my tongue licking against some curse words, but I refrained. I swallowed my dislike of his words and actions back down, my facial features sitting in an impassive trance.

“What? Harry, it doesn’t matter what she says, she still needs to eat. You know that.” I protested. Maybe I was slightly nit-picking with Harry’s actions, but didn’t I have a right to?

“No, I was just told that by you.”

I rolled my eyes, sitting back further into the seat. “Well you know now for next time.” I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

He shot me a look which I didn’t understand and then sighed, “Don’t you think you’re being a little controlling?” Harry asked and I furrowed my brow, wondering why he was now making accusations on me.

“What?” I questioned, looking straight at him now keen for this to present itself.

“I just mean,” he sighed, cradling a beanie over his hair, tucking his curls inside of it. “That it shouldn’t really be up to you when and how she eats or not, I mean, it should just be her decision, is all I’m saying.”

I frowned to myself, averting my gaze to the floor. He could surely not be right. It wasn’t like I literally forced food down her throat, I wasn’t controlling, I just persuaded her to eat. Harry’s got this all wrong.

“It is her decision. How the hell am I controlling Harry?”

“Look, I’m not saying you are controlling-“

“You just did.”

“I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant that maybe you should, I don’t know, just consider and respect her choices of whether she wants to eat or not and what she wants to eat.”

“I do respect her choices.”

He sighed. “Whatever, I’m not gonna argue about it, but I’m just saying, it might be something to think about. You want her to be happy, right?”

“Of course I do,” I scoffed. “But Ashley seems to have no problem, so why do you?”

“She might not have a problem, because she doesn’t know any different. That doesn’t make it okay though.”

And then he walked away, leaving me alone on the sofa with my thoughts. The other guys had previously said goodbye to me so they had already gone. So now I was alone. I was not controlling. No way was I controlling. Protective and a little bit easily jealous, maybe, but I wasn’t controlling. I didn’t tell her what to do, mainly because I hate it when people do it to me, even though I was pretty used to that. Harry was just putting the icing on the cake to his attempts to annoy me this morning, of course he was. Ashley was happy, I would know if she wasn’t. I’m not controlling, what a load of bullshit.