-Ch 27: Emotional Wrecks and Threats.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Emotional Wrecks and Threats.

I liked it when I woke up first. Not only because it meant I generally had a sense of awareness before everyone else, but for the strangely simplistic, and slightly cliché act of waking up next to Niall, and watching him do the same. It didn’t exactly happen that often anymore, since one of us was normally always working, and our times were so mixed we could never keep up between them.

I curled my toes underneath the comfort of the duvet; it was so comforting to know I didn’t have to get up for work today, and to know that Niall didn’t either. The simple element of having a free day to ourselves put me in an extremely good mood. The warmth of Niall’s bare skin pressed against my own etched a lazy tiredness into me, the security of his limbs entwined with mine made me feel like I could stay here forever. But that was probably because I had only just woken, so my mind wasn’t working, not knowing what was too far and what wasn’t.

He drew in a breath, his eye-lids heavily shielding the view of his eyes, his hair scruffily assorted across the top of his forehead as he mumbled something inaudible with his slight stir. I wondered just how conscience he was of his surroundings, I wondered if he was enduring a dream at the moment, and whether it was a nice one or not. It relaxed me in a way to watch him so relaxed, so at peace. Although that was often the case anyway, since I probably did the worrying and everything but calmness for the both of us over and over, but still, it was nice.

His palm was pressing softly against the top of my thigh, I had been so used to it for the past ten hours or so, it felt weird and cold as he moved it slightly, as he moved himself. I watched him for a few more minutes, he wasn’t the quietest of sleepers, he’d mumble and breathe heavily, and sometimes snore if I was unlucky, but it didn’t matter nonetheless. Although I soon began to grow bored the more awake I became, it was calming lazing in the sleepy kind of tiredness in between limbs and warm sheets, but as you became more conscious it didn’t serve such calmness. I didn’t want to violently awake him though; I didn’t feel like doing that, although humorous ways had been experimented many times, today wasn’t a day for one of them.

So I shuffled even closer to him, one of my palms resting guiltily on his chest which rose and fell with each breath he inhaled and exhaled. I placed a kiss on his cheek, and then carefully to his lips, very briefly though. “Niall,” I whispered, a smile twitching at the corners of my mouth. He sucked in a sharp breath, remaining asleep though. “Wake up…” I whined in another breath, my fingertips began to toy with his hair; I liked it in the morning.

He wasn’t waking, and I would feel bad about waking him properly, a full on, shaking of his shoulders. I sighed as I collapsed back onto the pillow beside him, touching a self-conscious hand to my hair, but it felt too knotty to be bothered, so I tried my best to flatten it with my palm before pulling through one of the snags, but seeming to hurt my scalp in the process.

A slight snore evaded his mouth; I smirked, propping my head up with my elbow against the mattress, his lips remained parted, his breaths elevated by slumber. I formed my lips into an O, and began blowing air onto the side of his cheek; it was probably the morning tiredness that was clinging onto me that made me find this funnier than it was.  Small bubbles of quiet laughter escaped my lips as I blew softly against his cheek in between pressing kisses to it. He began to shuffle around a little, his features shifting; he lifted a hand to his cheek, rubbing it where I had been keeping occupied.

“Niall.” I leaned forward, whispering this into his ear, he moved a bit, and squeezed his eyes tight shut, and I was pretty sure he was awake now; it was just a matter of him coming around.