-Ch 36: Snarky Speech.

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: Snarky Speech.

“Such a mess,” My sister sighed heavily through the phone. I furrowed my brow at her statement, and it hurt me a little. “You think I’m being harsh Ash, but it’s all over the papers and the internet that Niall’s gonna dump you, or he already has. I don’t see how you manage to get these things out in the public eye so much. I think you try sometimes.”

“I don’t try!” I protested, a frown falling over my lips.

“Yes well you know what that looks like at the moment? Like he’s dumped you. Seriously, it’s pathetic that you’re not even saying anything about it Ashley.”

“Don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t do; it’s my life, not yours.”

“Well at the moment it’s most of the public domain’s.”

“But that’s the false story.”

“It doesn’t matter; it’s true until you say it’s not. If you get seen with Tom DeCampbell one time you know that’ll be it for you Ash.” As she said ‘it’ she snapped her fingers, I could hear. “If you even get seen exiting or entering his flat that’s it, as far as the papers are concerned: Niall’s dumped you, and now you’re a slut.”

“You know I’m beginning to think someone’s having a particularly mean streak today.”

“I’m sorry, but it’s the truth. Can’t you guys just make up now or something? Don’t tell him but-“She lowered her voice considerably. “I don’t know how much longer I can stay at George’s, I’m not a neat freak like you, but his messiness is driving me crazy.”

“There’s no reason why you can’t go home, and by that I mean, real home.”

“There is.”

“What?”

Hello, the whole house is probably littered in divorce papers, ripped up photographs, and furniture moving’s. What are the bets Mum will take three quarters of that house with her when she moves out?”

“How do you know she’s moving out?”

“I spoke to her.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, please just make up with Niall and then go out and make out by a newsagents and get pictured or something to stop the split rumours, I can’t handle people asking me about it anymore.”

“It’s not that simple Ellie, and I can’t always do things just because they put you in a more comfortable situation.”

“I’m doing this for you,” she protested. “Being dumped looks bad, and it’s even worse when you weren’t.”

“Just do me a favour and shut up about it for now Ellie? Things will go how they go when they do, nothing you say will change that.”

She sighed again, heavier than last time. “Fine. But let me know when you’re both back at that house because I want to come home.”

“Who said you were coming back as soon as we were?”

“Why can’t I?”

“Maybe we’ll want some time to ourselves? I don’t know why we’re talking like this is actually going to happen.”

“Oh right, I get it, make up sex.”

Ellie.”

“What? I’m not a child anymore, am I not allowed to discuss this with my older sister?”