Chapter21

Dedicated to Christy1999 because she commented so enthusiastically on my last chapter(:

---------------------

It was strange. It was almost like she wasn't sure who I was anymore, unaware of the girl she gave birth to, that now stood in front of her. She showed no emotion of fear, or horror, or shock. Nothing. I don't even think she wanted to see me.

"Marissa," she rasped. Her voice made a slight gasp esape from my mouth. She was so weak.

"How are you?" I asked, concern in my voice.

"Absolutely brilliant," she replied sarcastically. This wasn't the woman I knew, she just looked vaguely like her. This woman was harsh and sarcastic. The woman I knew never used sarcasm and used to scold us for using it ourselves. Sure, I guess my question was stupid, but that had never mattered to her before. She would just grin at me and give me a proper answer.

I opened my mouth to say something - anything - but she cut in front of me.

"I'm dying, Marissa. Why did you come here to come and watch your mother die?"

The question was cold and accusing, and hit me like a train. Did she think I wanted to see her on her death bed?

"Mother, I came here because I wanted my family to welcome me back into their house," I defended myself. And then I mumbled, "I got fired."

I looked at the floor to avoid the gaze that I knew would be disappointed.

"You what?"

I sighed and looked up. "I got fired," I said louder.

"I heard the first time. Why did you get yourself fired?"

I frowned. "It wasn't my fault. I got moved from the place I first worked to work in the palace. But I got a little involved with one of the Princes. Apparently it wasn't allowed, so I got fired."

It felt like there was an elastic band wrapped tightly around my chest, and I found it hard to breathe. It was harder to explain than to just think about and accept it.

"Why would you do that, Marissa?" Her weak voice scolded me. I had to strain my ears at times during her sentences when they went really quiet, but I could still hear the disappointment, the slight anger. It solidly pierced my heart to hear that; she'd never been disappointed in me before. Only proud. Like when I first got my job at the young age of fourteen. Like when I finally did something that she knew I hated. Like when I helped brint up my younger sibling, Edward.

"I don't know, mother. It was a mistake, a huge mistake. But I think I love him," I whispered.

Her eyes widened. "That's not possible. You're so young."

"Mother, I got caught inbetween two men and Tristan came out on top. He told me he loves me. He'll come find me, as well, I bet." It sounded more like I was trying to assure myself instead of her, which was half true.

"What do you mean, he's going to come and find you? Doesn't he know you've been fired?" Mother narrowed her eyes at me.

I shook my head solemnly. "I chickened out of saying my goodbyes."

"Marissa, that's very weak of you."

I bowed my head. "I know. I'm sorry."

"But you're here now. Why don't you help your old woman eat something?"

Looking up, I watched as a weak smile attempted to make its way onto her thin face. I nodded, trying to return the smile, but it felt more like a grimace.