Chapter V

Classes at RAD were painfully slow.  Jackie felt uncomfortable now that Lucifer sat in such close proximity.  In every class, he was there.  He sat right next to Jackie.  Jackie hated it.  They loathed it. 
Lucifer never tried to speak to them, though.  He kept quiet, occasionally glancing over at them, almost like he wanted to say something, but he just couldn't.  The words wouldn't exit his mouth.  He would just close it and go back to his work.
Jackie enjoyed being able to talk to people without him getting jealous.  They didn't need to ask for permission to go anywhere now.  Not only that, they would be able to enter a new relationship, if they so desired.  Of course, they didn't. 
Then again, both Asmo and Simeon were appealing and nice to talk to.  Jackie really shouldn't have been flirting with an angel, and Asmo would be overly seductive.  Of course, he was the Avatar of Lust.  What did Jackie expect, him to be an Akuzon delivery boy? 
      Lucifer didn't like it.  The way Jackson would look at other demons and angels.  They had a glint in their eyes.  A hunger.  A desire.  And Asmo was getting too close to having a reaction.  Lucifer could see it in Jackson's mannerisms. 
They leaned closer to Asmo when he looked at them, almost teasing the fifth born.  They listened closer when he spoke.  And even closer the two became, physically and emotionally, each time they touched. 
Jackson's hand was not Asmodeus's to hold.
But Lucifer bit his tongue.  He remained poised.  Deep, deep, underneath the burning pride, Lucifer was broken.  He wanted Jackson to sleep beside him again.  He wanted to listen to their quiet breathing.  Watch the way their body lifted and lowered.  Then see them, at their most vulnerable, when they awoke.  The way they kissed his cheek when they locked eyes. 
He missed the taste of the coffee Jackson would make him.  It was so bitter, and Lucifer had a strong adoration for the taste.  The coffee held their feelings of love.  The coffee that bittered when someone who loved you made it.  Became more and more bitter the more they loved you. 
     Lucifer was angry.  At himself, mostly.  If he had remained calm, told Jillian to remain silent about what she saw, then she would leave and never come back. 
Jackson, screaming at him that he was a monster, would ring in his ears.  Kicking violently at his shins and backing against the wall.  Their eyes filled with horror.  Disgust.  Betrayal.
Lucifer remembered the way his heart broke alongside Jackson's screams.  Hadn't he adored when humans, demons, and angels alike cowered before him?  His might, glory, and beauty?
How dare Lucifer hurt them the way he did.  He knew Jackson had no one else but Jillian.  Yet, he allowed the fear of Diavolo hearing of Belphegor's location and his best friend ripping his baby brother away.  Belphegor would be gone.  Forever.  Just like Lilith.  He couldn't lose another sibling.
      Lucifer had encountered Simeon in the restroom during lunch.  He found himself wanting to confide in his former brother. 

"Simeon," he began, scanning the restroom.  It was just them.  Good.  "May I have a moment of your time?"

Simeon jerked his head upwards, obviously not realizing Lucifer had approached him.  He had been writing in a journal.

"Lucifer," Simeon said.  His smile would've been contagious had Lucifer not been on the verge of breaking.  "What's on your mind?  You seem distressed."

Lucifer opened his mouth to speak, but then his pride made him choke back his tears, along with his words.  Simeon came closer to him, touching his arm.  His hand, although gloved, was warm. 

"Is it about Jackie?"  Simeon asked gently.  His gaze was now one of concern.  Lucifer felt himself collapse into the angel, his tears forcing him to sob.  "I thought so.."

Simeon said no more.  He comforted Lucifer with no questions.  When Lucifer regained control, he pulled away from Simeon, trying not to look at the angel. 

"Are you ready to talk now?"  Simeon asked.  Lucifer took a shaky breath.  Better now than never.

"You've spoken to Jackson, haven't you?"  Lucifer questioned, his words coming off as an accusation.  Simeon laughed slightly.

"I have, what of it?"  Simeon asked, Lucifer stepping closer.  Simeon noticed this.

"Have they mentioned me?"

"Not really, no," Simeon said.  "When I asked, they deflect and change the subject."

Had Jackson already moved on?  It couldn't be, it hadn't been that long.

"They haven't referenced me at all?"  Lucifer pushed, Simeon sighing.

"What's this about, Lucifer?"  He asked.  Simeon was onto him.

"Help me win them back, Simeon," Lucifer begged.  "I regret what I did.  I need to apologise."

"Why haven't you?"

"I don't know how," he admitted weakly.  "How do you apologise for that?  "I'm sorry I killed your sister"?  Wouldn't that just hurt more?"

Simeon was silent for a moment.  He looked shocked.

"How'd you apologise to Beel and Belphie for Lilith's death?"  He asked calmly, Lucifer's mind going blank.  "How'd it feel for you when she died?  Twins tend to have stronger bonds than normal siblings.  How you felt is most likely nothing compared to how Jackie felt."

Lucifer didn't realize Jillian was Jackson's twin.  They didn't look very similar:  Jillian was rather skinny and Jackson usually had a little bit of chubbiness to their cheeks and stomach.  Not only that, Jillian dressed rather provocatively while Jackson covered a lot of skin. 
Their personalities were totally different, as well.  Then again, Beel and Belphie were very different, too.

"Lucifer..?"  Simeon called.  Lucifer snapped out of his trance.

"I understand," Lucifer said.  "I'll see if I can't talk to them at the meeting after school.  It'll just be Diavolo, Barbatos, Jackson, and I."

"Whatever you see fit," Simeon said with a smile, a demon entering the restroom.  "Tell me how it goes."

"I'll do that," Lucifer said.  He left the restroom, going back to the lunchroom. 

He saw Jackson looking proud of themselves as Solomon and Asmodeus hugged.  Perhaps, he thought with a smile.  Perhaps he did still have a chance.