Chapter 12 - The Gift

• Dedicated to Rain Jaiessie Mendoza Ledesma

George Harris' POV

I spent the whole night at a hotel with my sister and talked to Andrew on the phone for hours. He asked me to help him arrange his planned proposal for Sarah on the same day of our company's New Year party at Saadiyat Island Resort. I arrived at our flat around 6:30 and saw Sarah's guests in the living room. She introduced me to her childhood friend; Nate Hampton whom Alex thought was Sarah's lover and his niece, Irina Sullivan. The man looked formal yet accommodating and the little girl was very warm and friendly. I got amazed with the man's charisma and his smile was as bright as the morning sun. I've never met a man with such an overwhelming appeal and his vivacious aura was totally captivating. We exchanged a few words before I got inside my room to take a shower and retire to bed and I could tell that the man was undeniably smart. I was enthralled by his enigmatic personality.

The next day, Sarah and I were called out for a meeting before the holidays start since we would have 5 days off from work. There was a commotion when we arrived because Alex's secretary brought her 6 year old daughter to the office and everyone wanted to talk and play with her. Among the crowd, Alex captured our attention as he chatted intimately with Lara while playing with her little girl. Sarah's expression changed when she saw how affectionate Alex was with Lara and her daughter. She walked in a different direction to avoid the crowd. I felt my phone vibrate so I quickly put my hand in my pocket to get my phone. I stared at it for 5 seconds until I decided to press the answer key.

"Hello!" I spoke softly to the person on the other line.

"Hello, mate. I'm flying to Abu Dhabi this afternoon. I'll be there before Christmas." Andrew stated elatedly.

"Do you mind sharing a room with Sarah?" I asked as if I wasn't aware that he and Sarah never shared a room even once.

"I booked a hotel near your place so there's nothing to worry. You don't have to tell Sarah that I'm coming. I want it to be a surprise. What's your plan for Christmas by the way?" He asked calmly.

"My American colleague suggested of having a Christmas party on the evening of 24th." I narrated uncertainly.

"Oh great. I'll arrive in Abu Dhabi at 10 o'clock in the morning tomorrow. I think I'll make it to your party." He chuckled.

"Great! We will be so happy to have you. Do you want me to pick you up from the airport?" I sincerely offered.

"No, thanks. I'll take the cab, mate. I know that you guys will be busy preparing for the party. By the way, I'm bringing some of your favourites from Oz." He muttered cheerfully.

"Thank you very much, Andrew! You always know how to make me happy. That's the best Christmas present ever!" I uttered in anticipation.

"You're welcome, mate. By the way, I have to go. I need to finish my chart before I go home and pick up my luggage." He answered listlessly. Andrew ended the call and when I looked for Sarah I almost fled a thunderous laugh when I saw her expression. She was pouting like a little girl who got her candies stolen by other kids with her eyebrows narrowed while turning the pages of the documents that sounded like they were being ripped. My best friend was obviously and undeniably jealous at the moment. She didn't even reply when David said hi to her. She rolled her eyes at him instead which made the man look like a bewildered puppy. It was very amusing to watch my best friend behave like a jealous wife.

David and I followed Sarah and she casted a sharp gaze when she saw us entered her office. She raised her eyebrow and spoke like a queen, "Yes?" David stared at me for a minute and hinted that I do the talking.

"David and Alex proposed that we have a Christmas party on the night of 24th." I said hesitantly.

"Okay, then?" She gave us a cold stare.