Chapter 20 - The Homecoming

Sarah Collins' POV

Three days and two nights in the same room with Alex was enough to make me lose my sanity. It was ill at ease with him after he sort of sexually assaulted me and now I couldn't wait but to go home and stay away from him. I quickly packed my stuffs while Alex was out and left our room without a note to see my best friend who shared the room with David. I thought that if I left early, he wouldn't insist on driving me home because George was there to accompany me, let alone the fact that we were living in the same flat.

I barged in without even knocking. "You finished packing?" I hissed while catching my breath.

George was on the phone when I came. His cheeks flushed and his eyes widened in surprise when he saw me. I knew he was talking about me because I heard my name on their conversation. And if I heard it right, George was telling the person on the other line that he was having a hard time opening up to me and telling me the truth.

"Sorry, I thought you were ready." I gave him a confused look. I sat on his bed and waited for him to finish talking to the person on the other line. When he ended the call, I immediately asked him about "the truth" to satisfy my curiosity.

"Is there anything that you need to tell me? I raised my eyebrow while my eyes were pinned on him. I wouldn't give him a chance to fabricate a lie now that I caught him off guard.

"I don't know how to tell you..You know I don't like to keep secrets from you.." He stammered.

"What?" I asked impatiently.

"Sarah, nxng saw, I got a boyfriend. I'm dating Nate Hampton exclusively." He reluctantly announced.

I didn't know how to react. I covered my mouth with one hand and muttered, "I don't know what to say. Since when?"

"A week after you introduced me to him and his niece. He came to Nicky's birthday with me. I would have told you at the party but.."

I interrupted him, "So the weekends in Dubai weren't really spent with your sister, but with Nate?"

He nodded. "There was a rumour circulating in the office that the reason why Alex asked for divorce was your affair with Nate Hampton. I didn't believe that because I knew from the start that Nate was gay." George reluctantly said.

"That's ridiculous! They know nothing." I gave him a sarcastic smile. Since George was acquainted with Nate's true identity, it wouldn't harm if I tell him what really happened and why Alex decided to divorce me 6 years ago.

"I know darling. I know." He held my shoulders gently and patted them.

"Nate stayed with me for a few weeks because his mother kicked him out of their house when she found out that he was gay. She couldn't accept that her son had a one night stand with her best friend's brother and she felt Nate was a disgrace to their family. I wanted to tell my husband about it but I knew how jealous he was of Nate and he ingeniously concluded that I was having an affair with my childhood friend because I let him stay in our house without his permission." I muttered bitterly.

Our conversation was interrupted with a loud ring from my phone. "Sorry, I need to get this." I said before pressing the answer button.

"What? When? How is he?" I shook violently as I learned the bad news from my dad's personal assistant. He told me that my dad was in the hospital due to myocardial infarction. "Okay, I'll book a ticket now and take the first flight to Thailand." I disconnected the call and stared bleakly at George.

"We need to leave as soon as possible. My dad is in the hospital. I need to be there for him."

"I'm so sorry to hear that." He sincerely spoke as he held me in his arms.