Chapter 8 - The Prank Part 2

• Dedicated to Riz Climacosa

David Carter's POV

I rushed to the nearest mall to buy some clothes for Alex. I didn't know why he kept bullying Sarah. He has been making her miserable for weeks. Sarah seemed really nice and she didn't deserve all his crap. I'm going to confront Alex and ask him to stop terrorizing her. I'm going to do this not because I like Sarah, but because I don't think it's fair for her to be treated like that. I came to the office with paper bags in my hand and headed straight to Alex's office. He was sitting on the couch when I arrived.

"Finally!" He stood up and grabbed the bags from my hand. "Thank you." He whispered sincerely.

"Why did you do that? Are you out of your mind? Do you want to get in trouble for destroying a private property?" I uttered in annoyance.

"Oh you mean the fridge in Sarah's office?" He asked sardonically.

"It's not about the fridge. You lied to me about an emergency and stayed here until 10 o' clock last night so you could set everything up and pull a prank on Sarah. What is your problem with her? Why do you dislike her so much?" I shook my head in frustration.

"I don't like to work with incompetent people." He replied cynically.

"You've worked with a lot of incompetent people but you gave them a chance. What changed? Sarah is more qualified than the people you worked with in the past. Give her a chance." I stopped for a moment and looked quietly at him. "Is there something you're not telling me?" I interrogated. I moved towards him and scrutinized the ceramic doll on his table. "I'm sure I've seen a doll like this in Sarah's office." I thought for a minute and said, "This doll looks exactly like Sarah. This doll is Sarah Collins. Damn! How did I not realise that?"

"Right, my doll is so fascinating. It has its own followers on Twitter and Instagram." He muttered bitterly.

"You're a little left behind on this entire technology thing. Now, tell me. Is Sarah Collins your ex-wife? I'm dying to know." I asked impatiently.

"You will surely die if I swat you with a baseball bat." He whispered.

"I heard that. But I'll pretend that I didn't." I waited for his answer while looking intently at him.

"In 2007 and 2008, she was Mrs. Sarah Karydi. Now please, get over it." He answered tediously.

"Holy crap! It must be really hard for you to work with someone you loved and cheated on you." I said desolately.

"Please don't tell anyone." He pleaded.

"Now it all makes sense. I thought I was just being paranoid when I felt that you didn't like me spending time with Sarah. You were jealous." I teased playfully.

"Shut up!" He glared at me and kicked me out of his office.

Alex Karydi's POV

I had no choice but to tell David the truth yesterday. At least now, he wouldn't try to get close to that cold-hearted bitch. I saw her struggled at the parking area again this morning. It took her 20 minutes to park the car. I laughed when I saw her kick the car in irritation. I let my door open so I could see her when she passed by and asked my secretary to make me coffee which she immediately complied. After 5 minutes, she brought the coffee and put it on my table. I continued reading the reports and said thank you without looking at her. I finished my coffee quickly and left for the site.

David and George were on the site office when I arrived. They were reviewing some drawings. I was about to butt in to their discussion when my stomach started to feel weird so I immediately ran to the restroom to poop. I almost defecated on my pants. I haven't eaten anything for breakfast so I was sure that it was the coffee that upset my stomach. It was the same feeling I had when my housekeeper stupidly poured laxative in my juice instead of sugar. "That heartless bitch!" I gnashed my teeth. I went out of the restroom after an hour and David looked so worried.

"What happened to you?" He asked worriedly. George gave me a sympathetic look.

"Harris' evil friend put some laxative in my coffee." I stated infuriatingly. George's eyes widened in disbelief and covered his mouth.

"Sarah will never do that unless you did something horrible to her." George defended her.

"I told you to quit messing with her." David chastised me.

"I heard you set off the fire sprinklers that flooded Sarah's workplace. What you did was outrageous." George groused angrily.

"She deserved it." I protested. "I'm going to work now. If you want to keep discussing it, keep me out of the loop." I walked out and closed the door behind me.

Sarah Collins' POV

My phone suddenly rang. I saw George's name on the screen so I quickly answered it.

"Hey, George. How's everything on the site?" I asked innocently.

"Do you really intend to ask about the progress in the site or to find out if the laxative that you put in Alex's coffee took effect on him?" He uttered inquisitively.

"How did you know? Did he poop on his pants?" I chuckled.

"Almost! He went straight to the restroom when he arrived and didn't go out for one hour. I feel sorry for him." George narrated sympathetically. "Don't play games with him. He can get you fired. I heard he wanted to speak with the project manager."

"I will never let that happen." To be honest, I'm worried right now. If he complained about the incident, George and I will be thrown out of the project and my boss will fire me. If I lose this job, I wouldn't get an excellent testimonial from my superior and it would ruin my dream to be a chartered engineer. I should have thought about that before I pulled a prank on him.

"Sarah, are you still there?" George cut my thoughts off.

"Yes. Where are we?" I was distracted. I didn't want to get fired. Will Alex complain about me? I need to talk to him and convince him not to tell the manager about it. I will also ask him why he's so mad at me. I think it's about time that we settle our issues so we can both move forward. Our divorce is messing everything up at work.

"I think you should apologise to Alex and persuade him not to complain about the incident. I know what he did was juvenile but we will be in trouble if he threatened to quit unless they kick you out of the project." George suggested in desperation.

"I will do my best to change his mind." I assured him.

Alex came to the office in the afternoon. I tried to talk to him but he deliberately avoided me. He was not in the mood to talk to anyone. I got off from work before 6 and waited for him at the parking lot. It was 7:15 when he came out and it was already dark. I couldn't see him clearly but I was sure he was talking to someone on the phone.

"Skata! How can you not get it done?" He shrieked. I was petrified. Alex never uses that word unless he's very angry. He saw me standing beside his car and stared blankly at me.

"Can we talk?" I hesitantly approached him.

"I know that you put laxative in my coffee this morning and if you're here to apologise, rest assured that not in an eternity will I forgive you." He answered coldly and got into his car without looking at me. He disappeared hastily before I could stop him.

I'm screwed.