Chapter 4 - The Memories

• Dedicated to Myla Lacson Fajardo

Alex Karydi's POV

I started to pack my things for my flight to UAE on Thursday. I couldn't believe they convinced me to move to Abu Dhabi for a 2-year project. Good thing David is coming too, otherwise I wouldn't have agreed to this relocation thing. I got a text from Kelly asking if she could come over. I don't really wish to see her right now so I told her that I was going to meet her the night before my flight. I opened my closet so I could decide what to bring for my relocation and saw a small box. I couldn't remember what was inside that box so I opened it and saw a ceramic doll that looked exactly like my ex-wife. Underneath the ceramic doll are handwritten letters and a post card from Thailand. I glanced at the post card and it has a message saying, "I wish you were here, agapi mou. I really miss you a lot. Love, Sarah." This was the post card she sent me 2 weeks after I came back to the states. We were planning for her relocation but our marriage fell apart and I didn't even see it coming. I was blindsided. Sarah was in love with Nate Hampton when she married me. That explained her unusual closeness to him. She never really loved me. A woman who truly loves her husband will never cheat on him. Flashbacks came to me and it felt like I was watching a movie on a huge screen.

"What do you mean my wife is cheating on me?" I was very disappointed to hear the news about my wife having an affair with her childhood friend.

"Sarah is having an affair with Nate Hampton. When I came to Thailand for vacation, my sister told me that Nate and your wife were living under the same roof. I couldn't believe what Daniela told me so I investigated it myself. They're staying in your house, Alex." Dana explained.

I was confused and infuriated. How could my wife do that to me? Yesterday, she called me to deliver the news about her pregnancy and I was very excited to be a father. And now, this woman is telling me that my wife is cohabiting with another man in my own house! This is too much to handle. I want to go on a killing spree.

"And the child that she's carrying, is it Nate's?" I didn't want to know the answer but I asked anyway. Dana was terrified. She was hesitant to answer.

"Shit! Tell me, Dana. Is Nate the father of Sarah's unborn child?" I raised the question in extreme exasperation. I was impatient to know the truth.

"Yes, Alex. Nate is the father of your wife's unborn child." Dana replied desolately.

I punched the mirror in front of me. It broke into pieces and blood started to flow from my injured hand. I felt numbness all over my right hand. The fact that my beloved wife cheated on me gave me an excruciating pain. Her attempt to fool me and give me the responsibility of raising another man's child was something I couldn't forgive for the rest of my life. I wanted to die at that moment. I heard my phone rang that brought me back to reality. I wiped my tear stained face and picked up the phone.

I held the receiver with my trembling hand and said, "Hello."

"Hello son, are you free tonight?" My dad muttered on the phone.

"I'm not sure, Papa. I'm packing my things right now. I'm flying to Abu Dhabi on Thursday for the construction of a research facility there." I replied softly. I massaged my head due to my worsening headache. I always get a headache when I think about that woman.

"Is that so? I'll drop by your place tonight then. I visited a friend here in Georgia but I didn't bother to call you when I arrived because I know how busy you are. I'd like to see you before I fly back to Greece tomorrow." My dad responded in an authoritative tone.

"Okay, Papa." I agreed.

After 2 hours, my father arrived. He brought some sushi and tiramisu from my favourite Japanese restaurant. I went to the kitchen to get some plates and beer. It would be a long night for me and my father. We need a lot of catching up to do.