₵Ⱨ₳₱₮ɆⱤ ₮₩Ɇ₦₮Ɏ-₴ɆVɆ₦

The bouncer unlocks the door of our cell, trailing eight guards behind him, and everything in me sinks. This can't be happening right now. I need more time. I need . . . Then it occurs to me: Sejeong's not here. She didn't break us out of the dungeon, she didn't even give us a sign that she was going to try. I swallow, the blood draining from my cheeks. What if I was wrong about her being the one who killed those guards, or worse, what if she's been captured, too?

Two guards approach each of us, and as they lower my arms out of the shackles, I realize how sore I am from holding them above my head. All my struggling produced a couple of angry red welts on my wrists. But I don't get time to inspect them because the guards yank my arms behind my back with force and tie a wrists with a knot of rope.

They escort us out of the cell in a line with me at the very back, Sehun at the front, and Lisa and Rosé in between. A guard holds each of my arms with a steel grip that I'm certain is going to leave bruises.

"I guess it takes eight Tiger guards and one giant to handle four Academy kids," Rosé says flippantly in front of me, and the guards next to her stiffens. "I'm also guessing you want to smash me into something right now?"  she continues when they don't respond. "Go ahead, I'll wait."

I tense, waiting for them to throw her into the bars on the cells we're passing. But the guards don't respond.

"Ahh, I see," Rosé continues. "Taecyeon doesn't let you think for yourselves. That's probably a good thing, though. And that big one, aish," she says loudly enough for the bouncer to hear her in the front of the procession. "Good thing brute strength is an asset."

In a way, I understands Rosé; she's getting in her punches where she can, even if they're verbal. The guards lead us out of the dungeon and up the stairs we snuck down last night. The wide hallway with the looming portraits is now populated with Stragetia, who stare at us uncomfortably. And it gives me hope to know that while Taecyeon may be willing to torture Academy kids in his dungeon, other Strategia don't find it as acceptable.

The guards lead us into the great hall. It's a huge rectangular room with vaulted ceilings. At the far end there is an elevated platform, upon which Taecyeon sits in a throne-like chair that's trimmed in gold, with a red velvet seat. Taeyeon stands next to him with a stony expression and next to her is Taemin, who doesn't look victorious the way I thought he would, but ghostly pale and uncertain.

A large crowd is gathered, speaking in hushed voices that hum with anticipation. Heavy wooden doors close behind us, and the crowd parts as the bouncer approaches, creating a pathway for us to be brought to Taecyeon.

And that's when I see him. Appa. His hands and chest are bound with rope and he's on his knees in front of Taecyeon, surrounded by four guards. There is blood on his face and I see cuts on his arms. He makes eye contact with me, and despite his banged-up appearance, his eyes still have the same steady look they always do. A sob rises in my throat.

Taecyeon leans back in his throne, exuding self-assurance as the guards line us up in a neat row. He's the picture of poise, transformed from his unassuming private persona to his showy public one. I look around the room, searching for some sign of Sejeong is safe, but find none. There are twelve guards standing with us, thirteen if you count the bouncer. Plus two Taecyeon and two more at the entrance we came through, which is the only way in or out of this room. There is no place to hide, nowhere Sejeong could be.

Taecyeon clears his throat and the room falls eerily silent. "Welcome, Family and friends," he says, and his tone is easy and imbued with his usual charisma.

I scan the crowd, wondering how many different Families are here, but it's impossible to tell based on appearance alone.

"Today we meet under unusual circumstances." Taeceyon takes his time getting up from his throne and moving between us and the crowd. "As I told you all last night, the Ferryman apprehended the man who not only killed our former Regent but made mockery of our Family. A worthy capture, one that is a testament to our Family's strength and dominance, and one that will be remembered for decades to come. This is the man who appears before you." Taecyeon gestures toward appa. "While I knew the criminal would be cunning, and I knew he would be resourceful, what I did not imagine, could not imagine, was that he would also be someone I once knew better than my own self. This man, who has committed unspeakable acts of betrayal, of cold-blooded cruelty, this man ... is my son, Ok Namjoon." Taecyeon pauses, letting the information sink in.