₵Ⱨ₳₱₮ɆⱤ ₴łӾ

I open the door to Kang's cozy office and Sehun is already there, sitting in one of the armchairs in front of her desk. The fireplace fills the room with the familiar scent of burning wood and there is abundance of candles in scones on the walls and in silver candleholders on her desk.

Kang gestures for me to sit down and I do, remembering the first day I met her. It was before I knew I was Strategia and way before I had any idea about the deal appa had made-promising Kang I would expose Yoo for the killer he was in exchange for my admittance to the Academy.

The guards close the door but remain inside.

"As requested, you two will be flown to the airport you departed from, Suzy," Kang says, and leans back in her chair. Her relaxed posture doesn't soften her. "You'll be responsible for yourselves from there."

"Thank you," I say, still a little awed that she's letting us go.

Kang looks from me to Sehun. "Before you travel, you'll receive your clothes and personal effects." She hands us each a thick envelope. "And these."

I peek inside to find an enormous stack of won bills. "Holy sh-"

Kang gives me a look and I swallow the word, fooling no one. Sehun's eyes betray his amusement. Where in the heck did all this money come from? I'm assuming appa, but this must be half his savings.

"Do you have any logistical questions for me?" Kang asks, and I can tell by the way she emphasizes logistical that she's discouraging the type of conversation we had two nights ago, when we openly discussed her friendship with appa. And now I'm regretting not asking her more questions about her time in the Academy with my parents-what they were like when they were my age before they ran away from their Strategia Families in northern Korea.

"How do we get in touch with you if we need to?" I ask, suddenly uncertain that I want to walk away from Absconditi (Hidden) Academy for good.

She nods and the faintest hint of a smile appears in the corners of her eyes. "The usual way-through your Family contacts."

I open my mouth to say that I have no idea who those contacts would be, but since the guards are in the room, I decide against it.

Kang looks at Sehun, but he makes no effort to ask her anything. He exudes a nonchalant attitude, as though we were doing nothing more than visiting our Families for the holiday.

"Now if that's all," Kang continues, "these guards will take you to change into your travel clothes and you'll be off."

Sehun and I stand up.

"Safe journey and I'll see you both when you return," Kang says, and even though her tone is as cold and distant as always, I get the sense that in her own way she's wishing us good luck.

"Thank," I say, and smile, regretting that I didn't thank her for the various ways she's protected me when I had the chance to speak freely. Our conversion two nights ago was in the wake of being attacked by Yoo, and  my exhaustion, compounded with the realization that appa left not one scrap of information about how to find him, made me overwhelmed and cloudy.

I take one last look at Kang, aware that even if we survive his crazy mission, I cannot imagine a scenario where I would leave appa alone to come back here. And I almost can't believe I'm thinking this, but some part of me will miss her severe attitude and her brilliant strategy games. I may never understand everything she tried to teach me, but I know I'm better for it.

Sehun and I exit the room, and as the door closes behind me, it feels like the end of another chapter in my life. I didn't realize when I left my house in Jeongsan to come here that nothing would ever be the same, but as I prepare to leave the Academy, I know that once again my world is about to shift.