₵Ⱨ₳₱₮ɆⱤ ₮₩Ɇ₦₮Ɏ-Ø₦Ɇ

Sehun, Rosé, Lisa, and I sit in the cab silently. I lean against the window, watching the lit-up Incheon streets as we go. I slip my hands in my sweatshirt pockets, still bummed we couldn't bring our coats. Rosé insisted we'd have no place to stash them after sneaking into the hotel-no place we could guarantee that we'd get them back, anyway. I slowly press the buttons on my cell phone in my pocket, typing On way into a text message to Sejeong and Jungkook.

I've been updating them all day, piece by piece as the planning came together, an action I initially imagined would be reassuring. But Sejeong only proceeded to find fault with every strategy. And the whole thing felt odd, like I was double agent or something, erasing all evidence of our texts and not telling Sehun, Rosé, and Lisa what I was doing.

I keep my hand on the phone, but I can't tell if they've replied because I set it to silent. I chew on the inside of my cheek, and my thoughts drift back to what Jungkook said about me being selfish. I want to push against it, denying that it could be true, given the countless risks I've taken in the past month. But I'm also not sure I can argue that my actions has a higher purpose beyond staying alive and protecting appa.

The cab stops, interrupting my thoughts. We pile out about five blocks from the hotel and I can feel the reassuring pressure of the knife stashed in my boot as I step onto the sidewalk. I gently touch the rope tied to my belt and readjust the backpack on my shoulder, which is full but light, stuffed with my ball gown and mask. The air is unusually biting, give our lack of layers, but no one seems to notice.

Lisa and I walked behind Sehun and Rosé down the busy edge of Incheon and Seoul sidewalk populated by a fashionable late-night dinner crowd and upscale bar patrons. Spirits are running high and holidays lights are everywhere. Ever since we exited the cab Sehun and Rosé have been arguing about what route to take, which is impressive, considering it already took us an hour to agree on one earlier.

Lisa walks casually, like she doesn't have a care in the world, but her eyes are alert, I wouldn't be surprised if she could describe the last fifty people we've passed from memory. I, too, scan the crowd, looking for the signature hawish Strategia eyes that are out of place in otherwise relaxed behavior.

It occurs to me how markedly different my life is in this moment. I must have walked down the street with a group of friends a thousand times in Jeongsan, laughing and talking. And here I am now, walking with another group of friends, but on my way to sneak into a ball in Seoul where the penalty for getting caught crashing is certain death.

Now only one building away from the hotel on the opposite side of the street, I can see two men dressed as security guards outside the front entrance. One is unusually large, with dark jet black hair, and the other is slender, with an anime hair.

Siwon's crew!

I glance at Sehun, who I can tell shares my concern by the worry line in his forehead. As if it wasn't going to be hard enough to sneak into a huge, well-lit, well-guarded property, now we have people who will not only recognize us but threatened that they would hand us over to Taecyeon.

I pull my hoodie up, better shadowing my face, and we cross the street right at the corner of the hotel and far too close to the guards for comfort. Shindong and Yesung scan the sidewalk in front of them, taking note of every person nearing the door. Shindong looks in our direction. I loop my arms through Lisa's and lean my face on her shoulder, laughing-a casual pose Jisoo and I often assumed and one that is typically un-Strategia. Shindong looks right past us and we continue down the street running along the side of the hotel, slipping out of his line of sight. I stand straight once more and Lisa gives me a curious nod of approval. And even though I'm fairly certain we went unnoticed, I do a quick glance over my shoulder just to be sure.