₵Ⱨ₳₱₮ɆⱤ ɆⱠɆVɆ₦

I sit at Sejeong's vanity, applying a light blush to my cheeks. I haven't worn make up since before I left for the Academy, and even though it was never a big thing for me the way it was for Jisoo, I've always enjoyed going through the motions of dressing up. I put on a final touch of cherry-flavored lip gloss, rubbing my lips together, and stand, smoothing my hands over the silky and glittery fabric of Sejeong's dress. I smile at myself in the mirror, but my good mood deflates when I catch the sight of the tin on the bed behind me in the reflection.

I'm not even trying to convince myself that Old Wooyoung's dog holds some sentimental meaning. Appa lied to me, made a deal with the headmaster at the Academy to stop his brother, and then left me a clue that I couldn't decipher myself. It's like the person I've counted on my entire life, the one who's always supported me and made me feel safe, suddenly decided to change his personality. I turn around, glare at the tin, and leave the room, hoping distance will lessen its impact.

Sehun's eyes light up when he sees me, and he stands. But a split second later his smile transform into a questioning gaze. "Is everything all right?"

"Yes," I say too bluntly.

For a second we just stand there.

I frown. "I just . . . I don't know how appa . . ."

"Could write you such a sparse note?" he offers.

"Exactly!" I say with a bit too much emphasis.

Sehun takes a breath. "It's more than likely he was being cautious, in the event that someone other than you found the note."

I shake my head. "Let's assume you're right that he couldn't leave me an address or a phone number; I can't accept that. But what about . . . the rest? He could have said something else. Anything else."

Sehun nods like he understands what I'm not saying-that I needed more from appa, a lot more. It's like Uncle Jin used to say, it's not enough to know you love someone, it's important to let them know it.

"Do you want to talk -"

"No," I say, shelving my hurt because it's only going to make it harder to concentrate on what we have to do. "Not about that. Let's just . . . why don't you tell me about this pub we're going to."

"Wellll," Sehun say. "It's all very civilized. There's no-killing rule."

I raise an eyebrow, not convinced by his definition of civilized.

"If you attack someone here, you not only get banished from this inn, but from the entire group of properties like this one across Gyeonggi," Sehun continues. "And as you might imagine, these are something of a favorite among Strategia for trading information and, well, a dalliance here and there."

"Please tell you didn't just use the word dalliance for hookup," I say, and my frustration wavers.

"Upset that my vocabulary's excellent?" he says, and smiles.

I fight a smile and uncross my arms. "Don't you dare try to be funny when I'm clearly in a mood."

"It's not my fault that you find me irresistibly charming," he says.

Now I do smile. "Is that what you think?"

"That's what I know," he says. "Your body language is virtually screaming 'attraction.' You've uncrossed your arms and you're leaning toward me-signs that you're much more open and engaged than you were a minute ago. You've also tilted your head slightly, which suggests interest and makes your pheromones easier to detect. And those are only a couple of the indicators."