Secrets - eleven (Tom)

NOTE: Happy belated Thanksgiving! I hope yours was filled with tons of food and Black Friday/weekend shopping! Got a few goodies yesterday (Friday), and I'm quite happy about them! Anyway, enough for the story's delay, here's chapter eleven for ya!

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I never thought my life would end up quite this way

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what I should say

I Need You (That Thing You Do) -- The Wonders

A Sunday day off was what exactly what Tom needed. A lot had happen within the past two days. He was hoping for a day of sightseeing before the long week full of radio and television promos ahead all around California. But most of all, he wanted another Tee and Pee time.

He hadn’t had a chance to spend time with Penny, alone, since she and Jay happened. As excited as he was for them, he missed her. She was the one thing he was looking forward to when he found out the band was coming back to LA. He was ready to console her for her heartbreaks, her dilemmas, and her life—whatever. He was now here for her.

It wasn’t that he thought Jay stole her from him; he understood that they had months and months to catch up on, but so did he. And he knew Nathan felt the same way.

But he shouldn’t worry—Penny was going to be with them on their cross-country promo tour. He couldn’t wait for her to spend time with him and the lads. That thought made him feel so much better. And, plus, they were meeting her at her apartment in the morning.

However, one thing clouded his mind: The plot Danny made to get rid of Jay. How could he have been so blind? How did he not see that look Danny always gave Jay, a look of disgust and threat? He saw that yesterday, while Penny was with Jay. He saw how brave Jay stood by Penny, and after hearing that story of his, it made sense why Jay held Penny so close. He admired that, but he still couldn’t believe Danny…or Derek for that matter.

It pissed him off. He wanted to meet with Danny today and tell him off. He wanted to wrap both his hands around Danny’s neck and squeeze it tight until he choked—

“Earth to Thomas Parker…” Penny fanned her napkin in front of his face. He was sitting on a stool next to Nathan at the counter table across from Penny and Jay, who were serving six bowls of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Max and Siva were in charge to set the table with placemats, glasses and spoons. He snapped out of his daze when Nathan poked his arm; his eyes shifted around, as if he was trying to remember where he was. Then he saw Penny, and let out a breath of relief.

Jay, Penny, and Nathan looked at him funny. Jay asked. “You alright, mate?”

“I’m brilliant,” he replied. Penny was still looking at him. “Really, I’m great. I’m just in a bit of a…” He trailed off, unable to explain. If he told Penny what Jay had mentioned yesterday, Jay wouldn’t speak to him, ever, and Penny…well, he wouldn’t want to imagine it. "...funk."

However, Penny began to smile. She was in awe. “Aw, you’re thinking of her, aren’t you?...Rory?”

Max, Siva, Nathan, and Jay all stiffened in their spot the moment that name was mentioned. Tom was suddenly avoiding Penny’s eye contact. He knew she didn’t mean to hurt him like that, but still…

“Uh…what did I…” He heard Penny slowly say.

“She, uh…she…” Jay tried to explain.

“Left.” Tom said bluntly and finally looked at her, showing some hint of anger in his eyes. He wasn’t ready to tell her that yet, but now that she mentioned it, it was time to tell her.