Secrets - twenty-one (Haley)

NOTE: Meant to update this a few hours ago but movies and Catching Fire trailer happen. Aaaaaahhhh.

Anywho, hope you like this one. :)

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

If there's a dark side to you I haven't seen it

Every good thing you do feels like you mean it

--I Could Get Used To This--The Veronicas

It was a boring afternoon at the KV Bookstore, not to mention warm. Haley fanned herself with her hand occasionally while standing behind the counter. It was a slow day today, since most college students had left home for the summer, and that included Nikki, Franny, and Ashley. Her ex-roommate, Ellie and future roommate, Alice, however, were still in town. They paid her a visit during the middle of her shift.

Haley made the two of them small raspberry smoothies to keep them cool. Both of them were chatty about their finals. Haley joined in the conversation sometimes, but she was always in a daydream, thinking about Nathan.

The kiss they shared last night is still fresh on her mind. She wanted to kiss him again. If he walked through that door right now, she’d kiss him in front of everyone.

Not in front of her best friend, though…

“Hales? What’s in that head of yours?” Ellie poked her nose. Ellie was a pretty girl, same height as Haley. She had curly brown hair and light blue eyes. Many people thought she and Haley were sisters, but they do act like they’re related; most of the time, they’re inseparable.

“Finath—” Haley stood up straight, a little tongue-tied after dazing off. “Finals…I hope I did okay in the math one.”

“You said that already…” Alice squint her eyes. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

Haley chuckled at the two of them. “Me? I’m…I’m…”

The sliding entrance doors slid open, and Haley’s brief imagination of Nathan walking in came true—he walked into the store with Tom and Max behind him. Her cheeks began to burn up.

“Hales, what—” Alice turned back to the entrance and let out a light squeak. She looked back to Haley and Ellie with her eyes widened. “What—are—”

“Excuse me for a moment.” Haley chuckled nervously as she left the counter and walked over to the three lost boys. “Afternoon guys…can I help you with anything?”

The three of them briefly glanced to the café, where Haley’s friends were sitting, watching them like a hawk. They exchanged looks of signals that Haley knew of. Whatever they were planning, she had to play along.

“Penny can’t make it today, as she’s…ill.” Tom told her slowly. “So she…erm…asked Max and I to take over her shift, if that’s alright.”

“Of course it’s alright!” Kelly came over through the back with her arms open wide. She greeted the three boys with a hugs and kisses on the cheeks. “I’ll stop by her apartment later to see how she is.”

“Wicked! Come on, mate.” Tom slapped Max’s shoulder and started to walk to the café, but Max stood there, seemingly surprised by something. “…Max?”

Haley bit her lip. She knew why Max was acting that way. It was relating to that conversation they were about to have before Penny caught them and when Max decided to mention Nathan…

“I’m not sure we should do this here, Max,” Haley said worriedly as they walk down an aisle of books.

“Nath wouldn’t mind, trust me.” Max whispered.