There's A New Sheriff In Town

Mao Mao stirred from his slumber, his drowsiness attempting to keep his eyelids shut. He opened his eyes just enough to see the light that was cast from his window. Judging by the angle of the light, it was just before nine o'clock in the Morning.

Mao Mao went to feel his arm, brushing his fingers over the spot where the wasp buried its stinger. Before, searing pain would've spread across his arm when he touched it, now it merely felt like a sunburn at best.

Casting his gaze at the calendar, he knew what today would have in store for him. Even if he couldn't perform his sheriff duties, he still had two important appointments to attend. The first being the start of his rehabilitation process, the second was his bimonthly therapy session with Ol' Blue.

Forcing himself up from his mattress, he made his way to the door. As he reached for the handle, he noticed that the lock was still in place. Looking back to the bunk bed, he saw that the two bunks above his own were empty; not even that, they were untouched.

Mao Mao cursed himself for being so careless, in his self loathing yesterday, he accidentally locked his friends out of their shared bedroom. He'd apologize before he left for rehab.

Opening the door, he walked out on to the stairs, the top of which gave him an overhead view of his office. Looking down at his desk, he saw the Amulet of Borflagon, which rested on a stack of papers. After his (supposed) friend, Bao Bao, left Pure Heart and left the amulet behind, he's been using it as a paperweight.

Every once in awhile, he'd catch himself wondering where that dog would run off to. Bao Bao had returned to Pure Heart on several occasions, and Mao Mao often wished he knew where he was.

Making his way down the steps, Mao Mao heard a rambunctious noise coming from the kitchen. Sounded like Adorabat and Badgerclops were attempting to make breakfast again; last time those two tried to make breakfast on their own, they had to scrape bacon off the ceiling.

However, as Mao Mao edged closer, he was able to discern three voices. The first was Badgerclops, he was complimenting someone on their cooking. The second was Adorabat, she was laughing about something, but Mao Mao couldn't hear over the sizzling of meat on the stove to know what she was laughing about. The third however, was familiar but he couldn't place it.

As Mao Mao turned the corner into the kitchen, his eyes widened, his mouth fell agape, and if he had been holding anything, it would've shattered as he dropped it.

He never expected to wake up and find one of his sisters making breakfast for his friends. Minori was standing at the stove with a frying pan in hand, she was telling a story about her and the other siblings back when they all still lived at home together.

"-and then Mao Mao thought that he could nail the triple flip corkscrew like Hinata, and just ended up face planting into one of the training room's support beams."

Adorabat was about to fall out of her chair as she laughed so hard, she didn't have enough air in her lungs to even make a sound. Badgerclops on the other hand was simply wiping away the tears in his eye.

"M-Minori?" Was all Mao Mao could muster. Apart from his father, he hadn't seen any of his family in almost a decade, so he wasn't even sure what to say.

Everyone in the room took notice of the shocked cat. As Badgerclops and Adorabat took a minute to settle down, Minori just set down the frying pan and rushed the shocked hero.

She tackled him so hard they practically flew into the living room. Minori had her arms wrapped tightly around Mao Mao's torso, so instead of taking air in, it was blown out when they made contact with the floor.