Late Night Call

Late into the night, after the party had wrapped up, Snugglemane walked the hallowed halls of his castle. The corners of his lips were turned upwards, his chest was puffed out, with swagger in his step. The king personally considered the party a success, oh how will he top himself this time?

Quinten had already retired to his personal chambers, and Snugglemane was currently on the way to his own. The corridor had three open windows, letting the moon's light illuminate the long hall, towards the interior was a large marble door with adorned with intricate gold swirls. This door lead to the royal archives, Snugglemane hasn't been in there since his mother passed away. He remembered how she would hide storybooks in there for her to read to him when he was a child.

He had initially past it, but then he stopped in his tracks. Did he just see something? Turning back towards the door, his royal cape whipped out with a flourish. Indeed, there was an faint light that slipped through the space beneath he door.

Snugglemane blinked a few times. No, there's nothing in that room. It's just moonlight playing tricks on him as it bounces off the white marble. Walking over to the window across from the door, he reached out and grabbed the double doors, and closed them shut, sealing it shut as he flipped the latch. Looking back, Snugglemane felt a chill, as he saw the light now glowing brighter, the color of an emerald.

Snugglemane's first instinct was to yell for Quinten, but if what was on the other side a threat, then yelling for Quinten would alert it to his presence. But, on the inside of the door, there is a velvet rope hanging from the ceiling right next to the door frame. If he pulls it, he could alert the Sheriff's Department to his predicament.

Ever so slowly, Snugglemane crept over to the door. With an unsteady hand, Snugglemane gripped the handle. Every fur on his body stood on end, every fiber of his being saying he needed to get out of there.

Snugglemane steeled himself, his mother didn't raise him to be a fool who ran away from something as harmless as light. The door creaked on its hinges as he slowly opened it. Taking a step into the room, Snugglemane saw the source of the light. From there, all that could be heard down the hall was a girlish scream, as Snugglemane dove for the rope.

•••

Mao Mao, Badgerclops, Adorabat, Tanya, Violet, and Minori walked up to the front door of Sheriff HQ. Sliding open the door, everyone filed into the house, Mao Mao and his sisters were hunched over, their muscles aching. Not because they partied too hard, but because Snugglemane had dropped surprise news that the heroes were in charge of cleaning up after the party.

"Nothing like a bit of charity work to nail home how much we appreciate all of you, yes?" The king had told them.

Badgerclops and Adorabat lent a hand as well, and Tanya to an extent. The tanuki hadn't done any heavy lifting herself, she had her leaf clones do most of the work, but even then, it still took them til almost two in the morning when the party had ended a little after midnight.

Minori flopped on the couch, Adorabat joined her by setting herself on the back of the couch.

"Alright y'all, imma just head on to bed," Badgerclops went for the door way that lead to his and Mao Mao's room, until...

I'm in danger! I'm really in a jam!

If anyone had been on the verge of falling asleep, they weren't anymore, the sound put everyone on alert, shocking them awake.

"Wh-wha! What is that?" Minori startled back awake.

"The royal alarm!" Mao Mao exclaimed. The king is in trouble!"

"Already? Man, we saw the dude a couple hours ago!" Badgerclops whined, upset that he wouldn't be able to sleep in his comfy bed.

"I'm sure it's nothing serious," Mao Mao added. "You can just go to bed."