Three Days Later

The forest was quite peaceful today, the branches and the leaves gently swayed in the wind. The gentle whistle of the birds were music to the traveler's ears.

Beams of light penetrated the trees, bringing light to the dirt trail the traveler walked. The light illuminated the traveler's silhouette, revealing an orange cape and headband, as well as the top half of a martial arts gi, complete with an orange belt.

The traveler had been walking for days, their only source of sustenance were the supplies located in the travel sack thrown over their shoulder.

After hours of walking, the traveler came upon an open clearing. It had a radius of roughly thirty meters, it would've been a nice training ground, if not for the giant creature that was slumbering in the sun's warm rays.

The creature resembled that of an ancient creature known only as a stegosaurus, only instead of plates along its back, it had razor sharp blades of varying size, the biggest being a four foot blade on the center of its back, and instead of spines on the tip of its tail, a spiked mace.

A thought crossed the traveler's mind for a second, a thought of fighting this monsterous creature. The traveler soon dismissed the thought, they were in a hurry. Their rations were low, and their destination wasn't too far away. Another afternoon's worth of walking and they'd be there.

The traveler walked steadily around the giant lizard, careful not to stir it from its slumber. After treading all the way across the clearing, the traveler went to return to the shadows of the forest... until they heard a very loud snap.

Looking down, the traveler saw the source of the sound, a very large stick that had fallen from a nearby tree. The sound of subtle movements could be heard behind the traveler, and when they turned to see the source of the movement, they saw large, red, bloodthirsty eyes, staring directly at them. Looks like the traveler was gonna get their wish.

•••

Three days had passed since Mao Mao was stung by the Jade Wasp. Slowly but surely, he was getting the feeling back in his arm. While Badgerclops and Adorabat were in the living room playing video games, Mao Mao was in the kitchen attempting to make a sandwich.

Mao Mao picked up a butter knife and dipped it into a jar of jam, the knife in his right hand, the jar in his left. Seemingly out of nowhere, Mao Mao felt a numbing pang in his arm, causing him to drop the jar.

When the jar shattered across the floor, Adorabat and Badgerclops dropped their controllers and hurried to the kitchen out of concern to their friend.

"Mao Mao!" Cried Adorabat. "Are you okay?"

Mao Mao held his arm, waiting for the pang to go away. "I'm fine Adorabat, my arm just went numb is all."

When Camille had treated Mao Mao's sting, she warned that because of the damage to the nervous system in his arm, he would have episodes such as this. Yet another reason he would have to attend rehabilitation with Camille.

The worst of it is, Mao Mao can't fight like this. Badgerclops and Adorabat can handle themselves, but how long will they hold out in a serious fight? Things couldn't stay peaceful forever.

"You sure?" Asked Badgerclops, concerned for his best friend's welfare. "You need some help?" Badgerclops gestured to the broken glass and jam all over the floor.

"No no, I'll take care of it." Mao Mao replied holding up his hands. "You two just get back to your game."

"You sure?" Adorabat asked to make certain.

"Yes," said Mao Mao shooing them out of the kitchen. "I'll clean my mess, you don't need to worry."

"Okay," said Badgerclops, respecting Mao Mao's wishes. "I'm gonna go get some more jam."