Chapter 38

Leah

We all have secrets. We all hide things that may or may not be affecting the people around us. 

The quote by Ally Carter, "I thought about how there are two types of secrets: the kind you want to keep in, and the kind you don't dare to let out," can't be more relevant. There are some things that you just don't feel like letting out. Maybe for the fear of no one truly understands what you're feeling, no one actually discerning your fears. Then there are things that you so badly want to let out but those judgemental stares you receive just make you want to suppress it all until, eventually, those secrets succumb within you. 

As I was following Jace into the house, I realised I didn't know much about him. Why did he join our school in the middle of the semester? Where did he live before coming to Castroville? Where were his parents and what do they do? 

So many questions were popping up in my head yet when I opened my mouth to ask him, the most ridiculous question was asked.

"Where do you get those pick up lines from?" I asked as someone thrust a cup with brown liquid in it.

"A guy gotta keep his secrets." He winked and leaned his body against the wall and took a sip from the cup. Do I even want to know what's in there? Definitely not.

"So you try them on every other girl or the honours are just for me?" I mocked.

"Just you, pretty lady." He grinned at me widely and as if something just clicked to him, his eyes lightened up and they grew wide. "Actually that's not a bad idea."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Come on." He walked out of the kitchen and stood on his tiptoes, his eyes scanning the entire room until they settled on someone. With his chin pointing out the direction, he asked me to follow him and I did as he said. 

"Excuse me, " he said to a girl who was sitting with a couple of others playing what seemed to be a game of spin the bottle, "Can you tell me the time is it?" Where was it even going?

"Umm, you are wearing a watch." The girl pointed out and he was indeed wearing a watch.

"I'd have checked it but I can't take my eyes off you." Poor girl, she could only open her mouth later to just close it and staring at Jace with wide eyes as he smirked at her.

Okay, I must say, this was fun.

"Who's next?" He asked me when we had walked away from the group, leaving the girl just blinking at his back.

"Huh? I'm not playing wing woman for you. Nope." I replied firmly and crossed my arms across my chest. 

"You are no fun." He tapped my forehead with his pointer finger and I glared at him, swatting his hand away. "That one, in green top and black jeans." He pointed diagonally and walked towards her, me trailing behind him so that I could hear his line.

"Hey girl, I was wondering if you got those pants on sale?" He asked her and she gave him a once over before plastering on a dazed smile.

"Whyy?" It was clear that she was intoxicated by the way she dragged her word.

"Because here, in my house, they'd be hundred percent off." He winked and the girl literally swooned. I don't want to listen any further. How the fuck does he even come up with such lines? 

I stood quietly, watching the two interact or more like flirt with each other, and after a few minutes, I walked away from there leaving the two alone when things started getting handsy.

Wondering where to go, I saw Ethan, Adrian, and Lydia talking in a corner. Well, Adrian and Lydia talking and Ethan just sulking with a pout on his face as the other two laughed at something he said. The words he said outside the house just a while ago came rushing like a hurricane and I felt my face heating up.