Chapter Two

One month later- January
Forks, Washington

One month later- JanuaryForks, Washington

It was a month later that the Weller family reunited with their father after twelve years in the dreary town of Forks in the Weller family crypt

It was raining, as was the usual for forks; during the funeral of Aspen Wisteria Weller.
It was only Everest's parents, herself, and her siblings along with a few of Abel's closest friends at the funeral. Their friends in Minnesota had a wake for Aspen before Ollie decided to pack the families things and go back to the small town her ex-husband lived as a deputy sheriff. She thought that it would do them good, reuniting them with their father after such a tragic loss at the hands of some black ice, and if she was honest. Ollie needed her ex-husbands help as much as the kids did.
Abel Weller was a rock, a simple man who made some mistakes when he was younger but got himself together and made a good life for himself in his hometown, working with his best friend Chief Swan and fishing or watching the game down at the Native American Reservation with their good friends Billy Black and Harry Clearwater. Never did his friends think they would ever attend the funeral of the Weller man's second youngest. Never did Abel think he would run out of time to make up to his littlest girl for all the time they were apart.
It was under the weeping sky and black umbrellas that Everest Weller stood, tears mixing with the rain that splattered off of her umbrella. She stood there numbly through minister Webber's service, through the lowering of the casket and the eulogies; staring blankly at her twins headstone. She didn't notice her older sister trying, and then giving up on getting her to go back to the small church with the rest of the service, and stood there long after her father took her mother and younger brother home, as the sky turned from a light grey to a smokey black as night fell.
A piece of Everest's soul had died with her sister on that snowy road.
Closing her eyes Everest can remember the blood, there was so much blood. The smell of gasoline was strong from it being poured on the ground from where the gas line had been severed from the sheer impact. The sight of the bent and twisted metal haunted her as much as the image of her younger twin laying upside down from the minivan with a piece of metal impaling her stomach and she struggled to stay awake as she coughed up blood. The image would haunt Everest's dreams for the rest of her life.
The beeping of Everest's phone jarred her out of the awful memories of that night. Rubbing her tear filled eyes against the sleeves of her black sweater Everest let out a heavy sigh as she dug her phone out from the purse that was hanging limply by her side. Red rimmed eyes scanned the tree line as she made her way back to her cruiser bike settled next to the church and her watery voice croaked through the phone.

"Yeah Sage?" She asked her sister.

Sage could hear that she had been crying through the phone and she frowned, raising her hand and biting on her thumbnail.

"Hey Ever, where are you? Ma's getting worried."

She lied. She knew she shouldn't have, but she was worried because it was dark and her mother had locked herself away in her room when they had gotten home; their father awkwardly standing in the living room amongst the unpacked boxes before he said his good nights and went back down the street to his childhood home that was settled three doors down from Charlie Swan.

"I'm headed to the house now." Everest said, because no where would be home without Aspen.

"Okay...just be careful okay?" Sage responded worrying her lip.

"Always am." Everest sighed before hanging up.

She hadn't been able to bring herself to drive since her sister died. The flashbacks would come back full force and she would have a panic attack. Out of the three people in the car that night, only one died while the others got off with broken bones and concussions. She was glad that others didn't die, but she couldn't understand why sweet, innocent Aspen had to die. Everest paddled harder because she was grieving, and she was pissed, because they were born together, and they were supposed to grow old and die together and it's not fucking fair.
Distracted by her thoughts Everest almost missed the house they now lived in, with three bedrooms instead of four.