Chapter One

The calm before the storm...

It was snowing the day that Everest Weller's world came crashing down around her

It was snowing the day that Everest Weller's world came crashing down around her. It's funny how the worst days in your life will start out like any other, that you'll find nothing amiss until the moment it happens and your stuck wondering how your entire world had shattered so suddenly and how the hell you were going to put it back together. The day had started good, because before that day Everest loved the snow. So when the brunette woke the morning of November 17th to a thick layer of snow covering her yard she was ecstatic.
After nearly twelve years of living in a small town in the Minnesota wilderness the novelty of snow still hadn't worn off for her, nor her twin. Her mother and other siblings however, were other stories entirely, preferring spring or autumn.
Olivia 'Ollie' Weller was a bestselling horror novelist who lived comfortably in a lake house in Minnesota with her three children after their father left them when Everest and Aspen were just five years old. Their older sister Sage was nine, and their younger brother Scout was four, making them twenty-one, seventeen, and sixteen respectively.
And it was on the day of November 17th that Everest and Aspen awoke on their seventeenth birthday to a thick blanket of snow and excited smiles on their faces with the smell of blueberry pancakes and coffee wafted from downstairs. Everest quickly dressed in thick leggings, a long sleeve shirt underneath a cable-knit sweater, and thick knitted socks that pulled up to her knees that Aspen had made her the year before; quickly tying her hair in a quick messy braid and brushing on some light makeup. Everest hummed lightly to herself as she grabbed the wrapped gift from her closet where a small crawl space provided the perfect gift hiding spot. Skipping down the stairs she saw her older sister Sage had started making breakfast- which was usual since she was in culinary school; with her mother sipping her coffee at the kitchen table while reading the newspaper and Scout eating his breakfast laughing with Aspen over something. A small pile of gifts sat on the kitchen counter awaiting her arrival.
It was tradition in the Weller household that on every birthday, the birthday person or persons would get their favorite breakfast food cooked, which would be eaten as a family, and gifts would be exchanged before the start of the day. Aspen and Everest loved French toast and blueberry waffles so they would alternate between them every year.
Aspen had her long brunette hair down with a simple headband settled atop the crown of her head. She preferred wearing pretty dresses she made herself as well as thick leggings underneath to keep her legs warm. Today she wore a pretty, white long sleeve dress with golden embroidery and pretty icy blue leggings hiding beneath the heavy long skirts. Her face was bright with a smile that automatically brought a similar one to Everest's.