[21]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the stroll

Walking around while she had English, the one class she actually liked, was the only way Angeline could get herself to relax. Her mind was in such a tizzy these days, each thought more dizzying than the last. The impending wedding was weighing her down, her family sending multitudes of letters and calls for specifics that the girl didn't care about. It was entirely exhausting.

So Angeline dragged herself through the grass, walking down to the lake and back and starting again. The sweat glistened on her forehead and slid down her neck, her hair sticking in a comfortable, light weight.

On the fourth trip down to the lake, the girl spotted someone sitting near the rocks. Walking at a slower pace, she began to squint her eyes to try and recognize the boy. Her eyes widened and she quickly ran forward.

"Jordan! What are you doing out here?" The blonde girl gripped the boy's shoulder in surprise. Her grip hardened and she began to squeeze tightly. The boy winced in pain.

"Come to explain yourself finally? I've been waiting for a while." Shrugging her hand off his shoulder, the brown haired boy let out a small grimace and patted the rock next to him.

"I'm so sorry Angeline. I really didn't mean this, honestly. It's just gotten out of hand, but I'm sure you already knew that." He laughed slightly and threw a pebble, watching it bounce across the water.

The girl sighed, and placed her head in her hands. "This is going to ruin everything Jordan. All I've worked for, all I've wanted for myself. I'm taking the fall for you, you know that right?"

The boy turned to her and held out his hand.
"And I'll try and make up for it as long as I live. I'll give you everything you could want once this is over. Name it, and you've got it."

Ignoring the outstretched hand in front of her, Angeline looked out at the water. The sun was shining, casting light off the water and making the air around them seem to shine. Turning back towards Jordan, she closed her eyes. In her mind, the boy in front of her transformed: the styled brown hair turning to curly untamed auburn, the porcelain skin to daintily freckled, and the small smile turning into a wider, more warm one.

Angeline took the boy's hand. "Just so you know, I'm not just doing this for you. My mother and father are the people who care for me the most, I'm doing this to please them."

Smiling slightly, Jordan ran his free hand through his hair. "Yeah I know that." He leaned in closer, where his lips were inches away from the girl's ear. She could practically feel the smirk on his face.

"I heard about your brother, by the way."

Angeline abruptly pushed the brown haired boy away from her. "What are you talking about?"

Jordan leaned away, the smirk growing. "Don't play dumb Angeline. You know what I'm talking about. I overheard your father raving about it while I was there visiting your mother. He isn't as subtle as he thinks, is he?" Standing up now, he placed his hand on Angeline's shoulder.

"This'll be good for you and your family, I promise. No one will even remember his name." He began to squeeze his hand around the girl's shoulder.

"Ouch Jordan, you're hurting me!"

The boy let go, flexing his hand in amusement. "You'll enjoy being the new Mrs. James." And with a final pat on her head, he began to walk away.

Angeline sat there and watched as the boy slowly became a dot in the distance. Rolling her shoulder to get rid of the slight discomfort, the girl continued to sit there and watch the lake. Wiping at the tears slowly leaking out of her eyes, the girl picked up a rather large rock and chucked it at the glimmering water. Smiling slightly at the loud thunk the rock made, Angeline closed her eyes.

"Hope this is worth it," she whispers to herself. And she lays back, resting her head on the hard rocks, and falls asleep.

don't forget to comment and vote! I would appreciate some feedback! and thank you guys for reading this far, it really means a lot!

and if any of you were wondering what Jordan James is supposed to look like, here you go!

a little short part to tide you guys over! the next part is critical to the story, and will be very long, don't you worry! i've basically gotten the entire book written, it's just got to be edited in certain parts to where i'm happy with it. thank you guys for coming along this journey with me, it's been fun. I'll try and get the next part up as quick as I can!

<<annie>>