[9]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the first meeting

The girl woke up to the feeling of Knox shaking her, mumbling that it was time to get up. Angeline stretched her arms, and quickly slipped on her shoes and jacket. The two quietly opened their door, and scrambled down the hallway, towards the staircase where they were supposed to meet the others. As Knox and Angeline turned the corner, in the darkness the girl could make out six dark figures gathered around the banister.

"Looks like we got here last," Angeline whispered, and pulled her coat closer to her body. Knox ruffled her hair.

"We would have gotten here earlier if someone didn't take five minutes to find their shoes."

"Yeah, way to go Knox. You only have one pair of shoes and you still couldn't find them." The pair were silenced by Cameron who glared in their general direction.

"Will you two be quiet! We're gonna get caught if you guys don't lower your voices!" Angeline rolled her eyes, and stepped closer to Meeks, sending Knox a look. The boy winked, and gestured to the auburn-haired boy. Angeline waved him off.

"Hi." Meeks's voice was low and quiet. He grabbed the girl's hand.

"Hi." The two continued to stare at one another, slight smiles on their faces. Charlie pulled out some dog treats and motioned for the group to continue on. Dropping the treats on the ground, the group slunk past the dog. Quiet creaks from the floorboards were heard as the dead poets moved down the stairs.

Upon exiting the school, the pace was picked up. The group began to slightly jog their way towards the forest. Angeline was towards the back of the group, her hand still clasped onto Meek's. Their paces matched as they raced through the courtyard, both of their heats beating at the same time.

Turning on their flashlights for the first time, the pair looked through the trees for a sign of the cave that Neil spoke of. With each rustle if the leaves around them, Angeline inched closer to the boy, tightening her grip on his hand. Meeks turned to her, with an air of confusion.

"You alright there Ang?" The girl faked a smile and nodded her head. A twig snapped in the distance, making her jump.

"Just don't really like the dark." From what she could see, Angeline made out a smile on the boy's face. He squeezed her hand, and stopped walking.