[26]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

emotion outpour

The day after was the hardest. Half of the Dead Poets refused to look at Angeline, throwing up their noses as if she were a plague. At first she didn't really mind the attitude, of course they believed Steven's words, they had been friends much longer. But the side eye and snickers and whispers that followed made the girl feel even worse.

Even Knox, the boy who has grown to be like a brother to Angeline, found it hard to be in her presence and ignore the lewd comment thrown her way. The girl eventually just told him to stay away, and save himself from the never-ending torment of hormonal teenage boys who didn't know the full story. He tried to resist, but Angeline rolled her eyes and avoided his company. Soon enough, Angeline began to disappear.

After immediately writing home to her family sharing her thoughts, she ran to Mr. Nolan's office. Waiting outside the door, she sat in the nearest chair and looked down. Tears seemed to constantly stain her cheeks. Angeline wiped at them with vigor.

A hand was slapped on her shoulder. Startled, the girl looked up. Neil hovered above her with a small smile on his face.

"Got any room to spare?" Shrugging her shoulders, Angeline returned her gaze to the ground. As if ignoring her, Neil scooted into the small space in Angeline's seat, practically throwing himself into the girl's lap.

"Neil!"

"What? I asked if you had room to spare! You didn't say no!" He turned towards the girl and his smile vanished.

"Are you okay?" The girl laughed softly, and subconsciously wiped at her eyes again.

"Not really." She paused, and looked towards the door. "But I will be. Just have to finish some stuff up and I'll be all set."

"What kind of stuff?"

"Family stuff." The sentence hung in the air. Neil scooted impossibly closer. Taking Angeline's face in his hand, he turns the girl's gaze towards him.

"I heard what you're doing for your family. And I think it's really brave of you."

Angeline laughed again, a dark laugh that sent chills down Neil's spine.