[17]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the downfall

Walking through the English doorframe was getting harder for Angeline each day. Sitting next to Steven, as much as she liked the attention from the auburn-haired boy, was causing the guilt inside to eat at her at exponential speed. Lying was never one of her strongpoints, and the idea of being dishonest to a person so close to her made Angeline sick to her stomach.

"You alright there Ang? You look sick." The girl's head swiveled to the boy in question, who was holding out his hand. Grabbing onto the outstretched hand and squeezing gently, the girl smiled softly and shook her head.

"Peachy keen Stevie. Peachy keen." Turning her gaze back to the front of the classroom, the girl leaned back in her seat and let out a large breath. Hands grabbed her shoulders and messaged gently.

"You sure you're alright doll? You look like you're gonna pass out." Charlie pauses his speech and his hands. "Wanna skip and take a nap in the nurse's office?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Angeline straightened her posture and shook her head. "Nah, then we'd miss Knox's poem. And I don't wanna miss that."

As if magic, Knox stepped into the very center of the classroom holding a piece of paper. Angeline leaned forward. "Here we go."

"To Chris." There was a pause as the boy looked around the class. As their eyes met, the girl flashed a small smile and an appreciative nod, which seemed to lighten the boy's spirit.

"I see a sweetness in her smile. Blue light flashed from her eyes. But life is complete; contentment is mine,
Just knowing that... just knowing that she's alive."

Knox crumpled up the paper and headed back towards his seat. Angeline, trying to raise his spirits, gave the boy a thumbs up.

"Sorry Captain, it's stupid."

"No, no. It's not stupid. It's a good effort. It touched one of the major themes, love. A major theme not only in poetry but life." Mr. Keating turned to one of the remaining boys laughing "Mr. Hopkins, you were laughing. You're up."

Angeline giggled as the boy struggled through his one line poem. She glanced at Meeks, who was already looking at her. Rolling her eyes a little, the girl made the motion of slicing her throat. The boy grinned and repeated the action in a much more dramatic way, causing Angeline to laugh again.